Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 6,981
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-09-2017, 04:01 AM
1

Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

I use nail polish a lot! I buy different colours from $2 shops for use around the house and garage.

It is very handy for locking nuts on electrical goods etc and for colour coding things like keys and locks.

However I have one minor problem with the stuff; when I go to use it again I have to use a large pair of electrical pliers (or a vice) to get the lid off because it has sealed itself to the bottle. Presumably this is caused by the surplus varnish left on top of the bottle opening.

Ladies...

How do you stop your nail polish bottle lid sticking to the bottle? I presume you don't carry a large pair of pliers around in your handbag for this sort of emergency. What is the secret?
Reply With Quote
TessA
Official Poinker
TessA is offline
Earth
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 14,525
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-09-2017, 07:04 AM
2

Re: Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

Don't get it all over the top!
If you do, use a drop of nail polish remover or acetone to clean it.
You need to be more delicate with your actions Bruce!
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,308
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-09-2017, 07:53 AM
3

Re: Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

Hi

I use Hard as Nails when I am fishing.

Easy Peasy when using it.

Lip Balm, just wipe the excess of the bottle threads, and then put a thin smear of lip balm on, job done.
Reply With Quote
TessA
Official Poinker
TessA is offline
Earth
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 14,525
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-09-2017, 08:53 AM
4

Re: Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

Just had a thought, if you use nail polish remover wipes rather than bottles of chemicals it might be safer in a garage/ workshop.
You could try acrylic nail polish, it peels off when dry and wipes off with water when wet, even acrylic paint for colour marking and stuff SF said about for sticking.
Reply With Quote
solo
Senior Member
solo is offline
UK
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,375
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
20-09-2017, 04:09 PM
5

Re: Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

After using your preferred nail varnish, tighten screw top as normal then turn top back half a turn. That easement stops sticking.

(make sure you always store upright as well)


Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I use nail polish a lot! I buy different colours from $2 shops for use around the house and garage.

It is very handy for locking nuts on electrical goods etc and for colour coding things like keys and locks.

However I have one minor problem with the stuff; when I go to use it again I have to use a large pair of electrical pliers (or a vice) to get the lid off because it has sealed itself to the bottle. Presumably this is caused by the surplus varnish left on top of the bottle opening.

Ladies...

How do you stop your nail polish bottle lid sticking to the bottle? I presume you don't carry a large pair of pliers around in your handbag for this sort of emergency. What is the secret?
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 6,981
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-09-2017, 06:31 AM
6

Re: Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

Originally Posted by TessA View Post
You could try acrylic nail polish, it peels off when dry and wipes off with water when wet, even acrylic paint for colour marking and stuff SF said about for sticking.
I think acrylic would rather defeat the purpose. Generally I need something cheap and permanent (ish) for example to identify keys. Definitely don't want something that wipes off in water. It doesn't matter if it chips a bit though it seems pretty resilient.



These $2 bottles last for ages and I don't care about the colours particularly as long as they are distinctive. I think part of the problem is that they are not used often so the residue on the outer surface of the bottle has plenty of time to solidify rock hard.

BTW that is not a particularly useful example but for my camper it has a door on each side keyed differently however the keys are identical. I paint one red, one green (a nautical theme) with a matching colour on the lock itself - saves a lot of trying each key in turn.


Attached Images File Type: jpg IMG_2004.jpg (35.1 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 6,981
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-09-2017, 06:35 AM
7

Re: Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

Originally Posted by solo View Post
After using your preferred nail varnish, tighten screw top as normal then turn top back half a turn. That easement stops sticking.

(make sure you always store upright as well)
Don't the contents dry out if the lid is not firmly attached?

I use these bottles very infrequently rather than normal daily use for nail decoration. While they are hard to open the contents seems to remain usable for years.
Reply With Quote
Mags's Avatar
Mags
Supervisor
Mags is offline
South West UK
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 33,750
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-09-2017, 10:04 AM
8

Re: Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

That's a good idea for those who use many keys Bruce
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,308
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-09-2017, 10:15 AM
9

Re: Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

Originally Posted by Mags View Post
That's a good idea for those who use many keys Bruce
Hi

I use these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-PACK-Co...cAAOxywTZSTA8l
Reply With Quote
solo
Senior Member
solo is offline
UK
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,375
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-09-2017, 10:16 AM
10

Re: Ladies... Nail Polish Emergency (sort of)

Most people over tighten a screw cap so by turning it back half a turn you are only easing it from that over tightening. You could also dip the nail varnish bottle cap in hot water as that will also loosen.

Either of these methods have served me well over the years.



Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Don't the contents dry out if the lid is not firmly attached?

I use these bottles very infrequently rather than normal daily use for nail decoration. While they are hard to open the contents seems to remain usable for years.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.