Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 08:57 AM

Re: Potato Harvest.

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Excuse my ignorance but how can you store all those potatoes for future use.
The ones I buy from the supermarket grow roots after about a week.
MC the supermarkets wash the potatoes so they don't keep well.
If the soil is left on and they are stored at the right temperature most main crop late varieties keep well.

I buy potatoes (King Edwards) by the sack from a greengrocer with soil still on them and keep them in the cold garage and they keep very well. I do check over them occasionally for any rotten ones.

When I was little we used to store them in a straw and earth clamp to keep out the frost and they lasted for months.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 10:06 AM

I have planted some duke of York potatoes for winter - they are already up -but its doesn't tell me if they are frost proof I will assume they are not an put something over them .
Does any one know?
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have planted some duke of York potatoes for winter - they are already up -but its doesn't tell me if they are frost proof I will assume they are not an put something over them .
Does any one know?
You'll need to keep them covered.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 04:19 PM

Thank you I calculate the first frost won't come until around mid October .
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thank you I calculate the first frost won't come until around mid October .
Depends on where you are,last Sunday night the temp got down to 4c here which is close enough to a frost.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 05:27 PM

I keep losing out on storage so am not sure where mine will go. Depends on how well they are growing, really. They could still be like little pebbles, for all I know. If weather permits I hope to start on that plot on Tuesday, so will start with the potatoes, see how big they are. If big enough will dug up just a few for now, and leave the rest in the ground.

Ideally I'd like to put them in the little shed I've inherited with the other bed but the two others who share it with me might start declaring 'we'll get mice and rats in there!!' Especially Bossy Drawers!!
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
The soil looks good kev,plenty of organic material?
Yes. We worked hard this year on getting organic material in early and it looks like it paid off. I also spread horn shavings or horn powder but was told to use it sparingly otherwise it can affect the taste of the potatoes and when the plants first came up I fertilized them with stinging nettle tea/fertilizer.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Hi

Lovely crop there.

I do a few new potatoes in pots, but no room for maincrop.

Fortunately we have two big potato farms locally, so potatoes are very cheap, just grab a sack and put the money in the box.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top