Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Re: Physisist in the house ?

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Why do we have tides influencing our oceans?
Isn't that something to do with the Moon, Fogey?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 04:22 PM

For Heaven's sake!, Tpin.

An object falling from rest will accelerate at 32 ft per sec, per sec. The first second the fall is 32 feet, the second second the travel is 64 feet and so on.

This acceleration will increase exponentially until the air pressure against the falling body equals the velocity of the fall, which is circa 132 miles per hour.

A sky diver is doing no more and no less than any pilot, manipulating the airflow to their own needs.

It has absolutely nothing to do with weak gravity. It is you who needs to be educated, my friend.
I wish someone could explain to me - in very simple terms - the meaning of per second per second. Why say it twice?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

04-10-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I'm rather curious about gravity. I understand that gravity is "the attraction between any two objects in the universe". And if I understand correctly, gravity is made up of tiny particles known as gravitons. There, my very limited knowledge ends.

Is this in some way related to magnetism ?
Are gravitons "tiny bundles of atoms"

Would anyone with a knowledge on this topic please explain ?
No knowledge on the subject at all - but just have to say - you certainly come up with some thought provoking threads!!
I shall watch and learn from the answers. Thank you, Bakerman.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I wish someone could explain to me - in very simple terms - the meaning of per second per second. Why say it twice?
Hi

A unit used for acceleration when the change in velocity per second is divided by the change in time, which is also in seconds: e.g., if the speed increased from 5 meters per second to 20 meters per second in a time interval of one second, the acceleration would be 15 meters per second per second (15 m/sec./sec. or 15/m/sec.2)

So, it is not how fast you are going, but how quickly your speed is increasing.

I hope this helps.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

As I have posted elsewhere, you can try and educate someone on a Forum but you should never try and control their thoughts.

Your thoughts on the subject of gravity are obviously fixed and are most definitely at odds with those of Einstein and other world class physicists.

I will leave you to your thoughts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Bakerman,
Good God, woman ! In my OP I asked for help in understanding gravity. I said AT THE VERY DAMN BEGINNING that I know next to nothing about gravity, yet you, in your infinite wisdom have decided that I am trying to control peoples thoughts ?

Your personal attacks on me, here and on other threads, destroy ANY weak point you are trying to make.
Fogey is patiently trying to help me understand a very difficult topic. I'd very much appreciate it if you'd just bugger-off and leave me alone.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 07:10 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------Dear Silver Tabby,
This is not my field of expertise but many years ago while taking sky-diving lessons it was explained to me this way.
During the 1st second of free-fall a body drops at a rate of 32 feet/second (32 X !)
During the next second the body falls at a rate of 64 feet/second. (32 X2)
During the 3rd second of fall the body drops at a rate of 96 feet/second (32 X3)
This continues until "TERMINAL VELOCITY" is reached. In other words when you reach a certain speed you can not go any faster.
Hope that helps
bakerman
Mexico

04-10-2017, 07:22 PM

Why do we have tides influencing our oceans?
Isn't that something to do with the Moon, Fogey?
------------------------------------------------------------------

Bingo ! Silver Tabby.
Spot on. Without the moon's gravitation "tug" there would be no ocean tides.
Fogey knows infinitely more than me on this subject. Listen to him.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 07:23 PM

Bakerman,
Good God, woman ! In my OP I asked for help in understanding gravity. I said AT THE VERY DAMN BEGINNING that I know next to nothing about gravity, yet you, in your infinite wisdom have decided that I am trying to control peoples thoughts ?

Your personal attacks on me, here and on other threads, destroy ANY weak point you are trying to make.
Fogey is patiently trying to help me understand a very difficult topic. I'd very much appreciate it if you'd just bugger-off and leave me alone.
You certainly have a way with words Bakerman, ever read "How to make friends and influence people" ...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 07:26 PM

Bakerman,

Hi

You asked, I responded, very politely.

Your instant response was to rubbish my explanation.

Your Post 5

"Ha Ha When I fell off a roof, landed on concrete, and broke my back and shattered my right wrist, I don't recall that gravity was "incredibly weak".

Also, I don't believe that N.A.S.A. thinks that gravity is very weak; nor any other nation who tries to put objects into space.

Any one who has ever tried to move a refrigerator up a flight of stairs is not likely to agree that gravity is "incredibly weak".

I have merely pointed out that your thinking is diametrically opposed to that of Einstein and current scientific knowledge.

You quoted NASA in your response.

I refrained from pointing out that NASA does not agree with you either.

As regards other posts, you made certain definitive statements about American Gun Laws.

I merely pointed out that the statements you made were not factual, that is all.

Discussion is better with accurate facts.

Unfortunately you are sometimes not very accurate with your statements.

You started this post off with " Good God Woman"

A modicum of research would have shown that I am in fact a man.
bakerman
Mexico

04-10-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
You certainly have a way with words Bakerman, ever read "How to make friends and influence people" ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard to make friends when people are kicking you.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top