Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:06 PM

A & E hospital changes in pipeline?

We have been hearing for a long time now, about how our A & E departments are struggling to cope with so many patients - and this is before the Flu season gets under way.

Now it seems a scheme is being considered to cut A & E visits.
They are calling it "Talk Before you Walk," and talks are at the early stages already.

Dr. Helen Thomas, national medical advisor for integreated and urgent care at NHS England says it could test the scheme to cut emergency visits, and that Jeremy Hunt suggested it.
She says - "It has been done in other countries where they have actually said you can't come until you have had a referral."

It seems what this means is we will not be able to go to A & E unless a doctor or 111 have referred us first.

However, the Chairman of the BMA says - "Trying to solve a problem in one part of the NHS by shifting it to another, won't work. GP's now being brought into A & E units as a 'gateway to emergency care' were already overworked."

Jeremy Hunt has told MP's that up to a third of patients to not need to be seen in A & E.

I thought a lot of people went to A & E because their GP surgeries were closed and they couldn't get help, so I wonder how it will work when our GP's are closed, and A & E is out of bounds too???

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:20 PM

Re: A & E hospital changes in pipeline?

Re your last paragraph Mups ... I thought the same.

Granted some go to A&E unnecessarily .. but for most folk it's the first port of call because 1) their local surgery is closed 2) they fear something serious or life threatening is happening to them and they are scared.

Might aswell skip ringing the doctor and just ring an undertaker instead. ... you'd probably get a quicker service. (referral to the Pearly Gates or the downstairs place of the perpetual hedonistic barbecues).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Yes, I read this too, although not in the Grauniad!
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...tients-from-ae

(I chose this link because if I'd mentioned that I read it in the DM, our leftie brethren wouldn't have believed me!)

I see that the idiot Hunt is behind it too.

Whilst I agree that Casualty departments are very much over-used, especially by the Friday and Saturday night drunks, I can imagine some possible disadvantages:

"Oh my God! I've cut my wrist on my table saw. The blood's pouring out. I must call 111."

Calls 111.

20 minutes later, still awaiting an answer,
"There's blood everywhere and it's still pouring out. I'm feeling faint. Please, hurry up and answer, 111."

30 minutes on and still no answer. All goes quiet. Man with slashed wrist lies dead on the floor.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Re your last paragraph Mups ... I thought the same.

Granted some go to A&E unnecessarily .. but for most folk it's the first port of call because 1) their local surgery is closed 2) they fear something serious or life threatening is happening to them and they are scared.

Might aswell skip ringing the doctor and just ring an undertaker instead. ... you'd probably get a quicker service. (referral to the Pearly Gates or the downstairs place of the perpetual hedonistic barbecues).

It's getting a more than a little worrying this healthcare of late, isn't it Mort.

All it wants this winter is a Flu epidemic and Norovirus and we will probably have to die quietly at home!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:27 PM

Weren't these Walk-In Centres supposed to alleviate the pressure on A&E?

And yet .. a load of them have closed down.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-10-2017, 10:28 PM

My nearest walk in centre is twice as far away as the hospital!

Why have some closed down, Mort? Is it because not enough staff or no finances I wonder?
All the money it must have cost to build, only to close again - disgusting.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

14-10-2017, 10:35 PM

The cash crisis I think Mups.

I just read that news article ... it seems they're expecting more people to ring an ambulance instead if they can't just 'walk in' to A&E.
In other words it'll just shift the burden onto them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:39 PM

I thought they were telling people to go to urgent care centres. Many people don't know they exist. Years ago a friend told me about a minor accident unit and it was fabulous. Unfortunately it was closed down as hardly anyone used it - because nobody knew it was there!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-10-2017, 10:40 PM

I just read that news article ... it seems they're expecting more people to ring an ambulance instead if they can't just 'walk in' to A&E.

Crazy, a lot of people can't get an ambulance for ages as it is!

No doubt the people who have these bright ideas and make all the decisions won't be affected, because they probably all have private health care!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:41 PM

111 come out to you, but they are the medics in a car rather than an ambulance. If they think you need to be in hospital they will call an ambulance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top