Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 07:44 AM

Re: Do You Make Your Own Gravy??

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Translation problem. When a Brit talks about roasting "a joint" , what is that exactly ? Are you talking about a bone-in prime-rib roast ? Or perhaps a leg joint ?
U.S. cooks use bones primarily for making broth/stocks etc.
In the UK we call all meat that we roast "a joint" and we often roast meat with the bone in .... but not always.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
In the UK we call all meat that we roast "a joint" and we often roast meat with the bone in .... but not always.
Thank you very much, Twink.
When I'm going to do a very special dinner for guests, I collect and freeze my extra bones. When I have enough, maybe a kilo or so, I bake them in the oven for 2 1/2 hours at 325F (162 C.). You want very, very well browned but not burned bones. I then saute 2 chopped onions, 4 ribs of chopped celery, and 1 chopped carrot. Then in a large pot, with 6 L. of water, I add the bones, veggies and 2 Bay leaves. (no salt yet). I bring this to a quick boil, turn the heat down to a slow simmer and cook for 3-4hrs. When the water gets too low, add more. When I'm sure that I have extracted all the flavor, I strain through a collander and put the liquid back on a low fire and reduce it to < 1 L. I now have a very rich broth which makes any number of different sauces or soups.
Yes, it's a bit of work but most of it is merely baking/cooking time. The result is out of this world.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Thank you very much, Twink.
When I'm going to do a very special dinner for guests, I collect and freeze my extra bones. When I have enough, maybe a kilo or so, I bake them in the oven for 2 1/2 hours at 325F (162 C.). You want very, very well browned but not burned bones. I then saute 2 chopped onions, 4 ribs of chopped celery, and 1 chopped carrot. Then in a large pot, with 6 L. of water, I add the bones, veggies and 2 Bay leaves. (no salt yet). I bring this to a quick boil, turn the heat down to a slow simmer and cook for 3-4hrs. When the water gets too low, add more. When I'm sure that I have extracted all the flavor, I strain through a collander and put the liquid back on a low fire and reduce it to < 1 L. I now have a very rich broth which makes any number of different sauces or soups.
Yes, it's a bit of work but most of it is merely baking/cooking time. The result is out of this world.
Thanks, I am always happy to learn new ways of making sauces and, although it is a lot of work I am sure it is worthwhile!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks, I am always happy to learn new ways of making sauces and, although it is a lot of work I am sure it is worthwhile!
It tastes so good that I might go even so far as to say it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on Ha Ha

what you want to end up with is ALMOST but not quite a syrup. The pure essence of beef. OMG
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 01:06 PM

Stop it, Bakerman, you are ruining my keyboard !!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

24-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Stop it, Bakerman, you are ruining my keyboard !!
I know what you mean Tabby, do you think we have enough time to fly over and join Bakerman and his friends for dinner tonight?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 02:51 PM

I use the old fashioned method taught to me by 'Dragon' - Bisto powder and Oxo cubes!!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 03:33 PM

Oh yum, some really delicious recipes for making gravy on here. I guess I use the Shwartz packets because they taste much nicer than the others. I.e Pork with Sage, Lamb with Mint, Roast Chicken and Roast Beef.(as near to home-made as possible) Once added, the 1/2 pint of cold water brought slowly to the boil and simmered for one minute, thickens it to just the right consistency that we like and is also just the right amount for our two dinners.

As I confessed in my post, I have tended to become lazier as I get older as I am all for an easy life! I don't even make Yorkshire puds anymore. I find that just one of Aunty Bessie's Yorkshire puds from her packet of 2 x giant Yorkshire puds, cut in half, is delicious with a roast and is more than enough for us both. I like to make my own Roast potatoes though, parboiled for 5 minutes, drained and heat dried then scored with a fork, popped in a pan with beef dripping and baked in the oven for 40 minutes. They always come out lovely and crisp on the outside and super soft on the inside. Yum, a sprinkling of Salt and they're done to perfection.

I rarely eat desserts but again talking about laziness, I didn't feel like baking or making an elaborate dessert on Sunday, so on Saturday morning, I made a Strawberry Jelly using 1/2 pint of syrup from the tin of strawberries I added to it to make up to a pint then popped it into the fridge.
On Sunday, I got the jelly and whipped it up with a fork, I then made up a Strawberry Angel Delight. put the whipped up jelly into 4 large sundae glasses, spooned over the Angel Delight and popped them back into the fridge.
When I was serving them, I squeezed some full dairy cream from an aerosol can over the tops and plonked a large strawberry on the top of each of them. They looked lovely, and he who must obey wolfed it down declaring that it was lovely and refreshing and a nice change! Talk about convenience foods!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top