Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:02 AM

Getting to see a doctor

Just rang my surgery to ask to see a doctor. Must be a year or so since I last attended. Sorry I’m told no appointments left.
Well can I make an appointment for tomorrow ? Oh no , you can’t book ahead !!!!! I’m in a lot of pain so really would like to see a doctor, I’m offered a prescription.

So for people like myself , who work, how are we supposed to get to see a GP?

No wonder the A&E departments aren’t coping
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:10 AM

Re: Getting to see a doctor

It's the same at my surgery. Sick people queuing up from 8 a.m. waiting in the cold for the doors to be opened at 8.30 a.m. Then to be given an appointment from anything between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. No booking in advance allowed. Then you're not seen by a doctor but a nurse practitioner. It's impossible to book the appointment by phone as the lines are constantly engaged from 8.30 a.m. and when the call is answered all the appointments are gone.

I feel for you Missy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:10 AM

It's mad isn't it. I do feel for you from what I've seen locally once you get to see a GP it's much easier to get another appointment, it's people rarely go that are really having problems right now. Punished for being more healthy
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:19 AM

It's exactly the same at my surgery too, ladies.

No advance bookings, you have to ring on the day, but because everybody is told the same, the world and his wife all ring at 8 a.m. and it is impossible to get through. 25 times I rang recently and the time they ansered all the appointments had been taken.
I was told to try again tomorrow - and the same happens all over again.
It really is appalling.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:22 AM

If you have a walk in clinic they are brilliant they see you in turn as you arrive, so it can be a long wait but if you are feeling ill they get you seen and triaged for either hospital or GP, ours ring GP for patients and insist on an appointment being given and they get them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:27 AM

We haven't got a walk in clinic round here Julie.
It is so stupid, because they built a brand new mini-hospital type place about 10 miles from here, but still no walk in clinic attached. It would have been a god-send.

The nearest one to me is about an hour's drive away, and that is even further than the general hospital, which is about 18 miles away.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:33 AM

That is appalling and makes me feel we are very lucky here. We can phone, make an appointment via computer or just pop in the clinic. I usually go to the clinic, whoever is on reception asks if it's urgent or not, if not urgent the appointment could be for later that day, or the next day, or we can also go without an appointment at 3 p.m. and wait to see whichever doctor is free to see you at that time, it may not be your own doctor. Latest appointments for us are 7 p.m. Our clinic also has 24 hour cover with a para medic on duty, who will decide whether he can treat you or send you off to the hospital.

I should point out it is also an extremely busy place with many different nationalities registered there. Our doctors work some very long hours, but they take as long as is needed to talk to you or to examine you. I truly think we are very lucky.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:46 AM

No walk in clinics here either , we don’t even have the phone service you have in England We have out of hours where a doctor will call you back and decide if you need A&E or the emergency GP and that’s it

I’ve been here 12 years and have never seen my own GP. It’s always a locum, which means absolutely no continuity of care. I’ve spoken about my mental health problems on another thread, I’ve been left to cope alone with those as I just never get to build any rapport or trust with the Locums

And whilst we have no minister of health there is no end in sight the the crisis in our health care
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:54 AM

When I first moved here a few years ago, I could get a non emergency appointment within three days. Now they have built 200 houses in the area, it's more like three weeks. With all the other house building planned for the UK, it can only get worse.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 09:55 AM

Hi

The advantages of living in a village.

They know you, which in my case means they have to drag me in. they know I hate going and only ring when things are very bad.

I have literally just rung up, my ear has got much worse.

Surgery appointments are full today, but one of the Doctors is doing a home visit to a neighbour, so I am being slotted in.

Much amusement from the Receptionist, you will be copping for your Flu Jab, which she knows I try to avoid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top