Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Re: Resprays

You can't beat a professional re-spray.

I don't understand those that buy a new car every 3 years...those that stick to the same model, slight improvements and a different colour but basically the same car.....I'm not talking about company cars.

They've taken the depreciation hit so why not keep the car and have it wrapped in a different colour?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
You can't beat a professional re-spray.

I don't understand those that buy a new car every 3 years...those that stick to the same model, slight improvements and a different colour but basically the same car.....I'm not talking about company cars.

They've taken the depreciation hit so why not keep the car and have it wrapped in a different colour?
I would love to fully refurbish my old CRV back to factory condition with some additions such as leather interior and perhaps a non standard colour.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 05:16 PM

I love every kind of make-over programme..
Including cars
The reveals are just the best

But I could never get my head around Pimp my Ride! (which was my eldest son's favourite at the time)
I think the cars needed extra strong suspension to cope with the humongous sets of speakers in the boot
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Including cars

But I could never get my head around Pimp my Ride! (which was my eldest son's favourite at the time)
I think the cars needed extra strong suspension to cope with the humongous sets of speakers in the boot
I viewed a few RX 8s before finding one in the right condition, original and unfettled.

One had a different stereo head unit fitted which I found odd as the standard system is Bose with 9 Bose speakers.

In the boot was a massive bass box and 3 amplifiers.....the sound was good but not £900 of good.

The RX I bought has a far superior sound so why he fitted another is a mystery.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Including cars

Ha ha, I think that's a sign of age Rhian. When I see those large speakers that take up the whole boot I always wonder where the shopping will go.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2017, 01:02 PM

Does anyone remember the choice of paint for your car in the 1970's, Cellulose or Knacker Lacquer.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2017, 09:52 PM

I like seeing resprays as well.

I even do it myself - I have all the spray equipment.
Compressor and spray guns etc.

Way more difficult than the pro's make it look. Took me ages to get to grips with it and get a good finish.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 08:15 AM

It's a bit of a fallacy, if a car goes into a Bodyshop for a commercial insurance repair, the company has to be competitive, and show a full materials/labour quotation.
If you take in your Classic pride and joy, for some private TLC, because emotion and expectation are involved, the cost, without explanation goes through the roof, a £5000.00 re-spray probably only requires £250.00s worth of material, but that's the going rate, to guarantee a good job.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It's a bit of a fallacy, if a car goes into a Bodyshop for a commercial insurance repair, the company has to be competitive, and show a full materials/labour quotation.
If you take in your Classic pride and joy, for some private TLC, because emotion and expectation are involved, the cost, without explanation goes through the roof, a £5000.00 re-spray probably only requires £250.00s worth of material, but that's the going rate, to guarantee a good job.
I guess its how much prep work is req, a classic may need more preparation if its a restoration project then more will be involved usually because an older car will need all the rust cutting away and new metal welded in, newer cars are all plastic and bolt on parts, so the time involved will be much less than a classic, project, there's nothing to stop anyone getting an itemised bill for materials ect, its the preparation and labour that costs the most, and , depending on the classic, parts may be more costly
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 10:59 AM

I've got a problem with my cars paintwork. The lacquer seems to be faulty. Its mostly on the bonnet but a couple of patches on the roof. It seems to start as a spot which flakes on the outside edge. Its an old car 12 years maybe I will have to rent somewhere undercover and sand it down and hand paint it. No way can I afford a respray which would be worth more than the car itself.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top