Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 03:39 AM

Bleeding will not stop

This is NOT an emergency but does anyone know how to stop a small cut from bleeding ? Today I stubbed my big toe on a piece of metal. It made a very small cut and now, because I'm on blood thinners it just will not stop bleeding. I've tried direct pressure but it does not help. I tried a Band-Aid but it just keeps bleeding right through.
All day I've been making a mess wherever I walk. This is a messy bother but not worth going to the doctor.
Anyone know of a home remedy ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 06:06 AM

Re: Bleeding will not stop

Sit down with leg elevated
If bleeding doesn't stop within four hours or so go to the doctor alternatively go to a pharmacy and get some Woundseal .

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wo...099456-product

Blood pressure lowers with blood loss which can lead to shock and complications
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 07:44 AM

I agree with Muddy, you should seek some help!

Blood thinners stop you blood from clotting, but it is the clotting of blood that seals the wound in normal circumstances. If you are unable to stop the wound bleeding then seeking help, to stop it, is a far better option than having to seek help when you have lost a lot of blood.
Your heart beats to pump blood around your body, so even if you don't bleed a lot, you will probably lose a little with every heart beat!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 09:28 AM

Hospitals sometimes use superglue - sounds strange - but it does work.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 09:41 AM

You say it's not worth going to a doctors, but in your situation I think it is - or at least a pharmacist.

Let us know how you get on.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 09:49 AM

Hi bakerman I am also on anticoagulants and have been advised for small wounds bleeding should stop after 20 mins.
If applying pressure with a clean compress fails to stop the bleeding after that time I should keep the wound covered and see a doctor or emergency department.

You need to keep up the pressure for at least 10 minutes .
We don't call the medication 'blood thinners here' they don't actually thin the blood but alter the clotting abilities within the blood.
Keeping up the pressure allows allows the delayed clotting to take place.

I always keep a supply of steristrips in the house to pull small wounds together before applying pressure.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 09:59 AM

If it's been bleeding more than 30 minutes go to get help. That's the advice we have been given about those of us on blood thinners. It's really important to let them know at least.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 12:16 PM

It has finally, after 14 hrs, stopped bleeding. I had no-one to go to the pharmacy for me, so I wrapped the big toe in a clean cloth and tightly wrapped it up with tape.
I was rather surprised that such a small wound could bleed so much when on blood thinners. It might have looked like a lot of blood but I doubt I lost more than 1/2 cup.
Thanks to all for your advice.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 01:26 PM

I'm glad you're better now that it has stopped.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 03:04 PM

I bit my tongue a while back and like you I'm on blood thinning medication. How do you put a plaster or apply pressure on your tongue? So I persevered for a couple of hours, but after starting to feel faint I asked a neighbour if they would take me down to the doctors surgery. One look from the receptionist and she told me to go straight to A&E because they couldn't deal with anything like that here....

So after a couple of hours sitting in A&E (making it six hours now) I was seen by a doctor.......It had finally stopped before I went in....."Ah yes" he said "It seems to have stopped now, if it starts to bleed again come back and see me"....Not on your Nelly.....Where did that day go?...

Glad to hear you're okay now Bakerman....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top