Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 12:28 PM

Macaroni Cheese

I'm not up to cooking this today, but my last attempt wasn't bad. I need some mustard but don't have any.

Still, I could never make it as good as my mother did.

Does anyone have some tips for me? Special ingredients to add etc. I like it with a crusty top of breadcrumbs and cheese.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 12:44 PM

Re: Macaroni Cheese

Mix a little Parmesan with the cheese on top only a little it gives it a deeper cheesier flavour I find. I don't do breadcrumbs on mine just the cheddar and Parmesan.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 12:45 PM

Parmesan sounds good, thank you.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 12:51 PM

I have been known to add a little drop of Worcester Sauce or half a teaspoon of Marmite to give it an extra 'bite'.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

10-11-2017, 12:52 PM

Yes, that's why I use some mustard, but I might change it up a little with some Worcester sauce. I've got soy sauce but don't think that would work.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 12:53 PM

That sounds nice my husband puts a bit of mustard in to bring out the cheese flavour, not enough to taste it just to add something.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 12:59 PM

I’m having this for tea today but I’m cheating! . We’re having a Charlie Bingham ready meal. They’re a bit expensive but great for an occasional treat. His Macaroni Cheese is my favourite. I would recommend all his meals too. I also love his chicken and mushroom risotto.

As well as breadcrumbs, there are pieces of pancetta or bacon on the top.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

10-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Yes, I plan on using a a little ham.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 01:04 PM

I wonder if this thread shouldn't be in the Food And Drink section? Perhaps a Moderator could move it if it needs to be done
Anyway, on to the recipe

I'm not keen on macaroni cheese at all, and wouldn't make it for myself, but when I was a cook/chef in an old peoples home I had to make it. We didn't have many set recipes or books, so this is what I came up with

1) Start cooking some macaroni, pasta twists, shells, or whatever in plain water
2) Gently fry/sweat/saute/soften finely chopped onions and celery in oil or oil& butter
3) Make a thin - to medium - white sauce from milk & flour.
When it's gelled convert the white sauce to cheese sauce by adding salt, pepper, small amount of made or powdered mustard, and cubed or grated cheese
Simmer & mix till it's more or less smooth
4) Add the drained pasta & onion mix, then stir & simmer till it's looks OK

If you think you are going to be stuck for time or space you can prepare the pasta & onion mix beforehand and keep them in the fridge till needed

I would just serve this straight from a pan, but there's no reason why you couldn't finish it in the oven or under the grill in a gratin dish with a topping of breadcrumbs & grated cheese

I've just read some of the previous posts.
There's no reason why you couldn't add mixed herbs, Worcester Sauce etc. as you wish
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

10-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Thanks for that recipe..I bet the old folks loved it.

And the thread should be moved, perhaps, my brain is a bit addled today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top