Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 09:27 PM

Mushrooms for Health

So this is the latest health fad I have read:

Quote: Eating five mushrooms a day could ward off heart disease, cancer and demential, researchers found.

They are rich in two key antioxidants - ergothioneine and glutathione - that combat ageing.

Prof Robert Beelman of Pennsylvania State University said "mushroms are the highest dietry source of these taken together."

Countries with high consumption, such as Italy and France, were said to have lower rates of conditions such as Alzheimer's.

So now we know. Best eat more mushrooms.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 10:08 PM

Re: Mushrooms for Health

My cat, Nemo, will be delighted, Mups. He is to mushrooms as Nellie and Gertie are to strawberries !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 10:18 PM

How peculiar Tabs.

Don't let him eat too many though, have a look at this. If you scroll down you'll find the bit about mushrooms. It is probably referring to wild mushrooms though?

https://www.cat-world.com.au/human-f...s-to-cats.html
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 10:25 PM

That's great news because I just had an omelette with wild mushrooms, Garlic. baby spinach and padano cheese. A recipe I concocted off the cuff but absolutely delish.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 10:32 PM

I love mushrooms, especially the big Portobello ones .... I suppose I eat 4 a week. Good excuse now to have a few more
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 10:43 PM

I love mushrooms. But then i've always been a fungii.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I love mushrooms. But then i've always been a fungii.

Groan
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2017, 11:25 PM

The oldies are the best...so my wife keeps telling me.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
How peculiar Tabs.

Don't let him eat too many though, have a look at this. If you scroll down you'll find the bit about mushrooms. It is probably referring to wild mushrooms though?

https://www.cat-world.com.au/human-f...s-to-cats.html
Thanks for the link, Mups. Had already queried it with the vet and she reckons the occasional one - from a safe source - won't do any harm. Thing is - he is crazy about them. If I bring mushrooms into the house I have to hide them. I used to put them in the oven - but he can open that. I tried hiding them in the washing machine - he worked out how to open that. He can open any cupboard/drawer in the kitchen if there are mushrooms to be had ! That is why there is a punnet of them on top of the bookcase in the sitting room. He knows they are there - it is only a matter of time before he works out how to steal them !!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-11-2017, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's great news because I just had an omelette with wild mushrooms, Garlic. baby spinach and padano cheese. A recipe I concocted off the cuff but absolutely delish.

Ooh, that sounds a bit scrummy Annie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top