Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 07:38 AM

Thank you.

Hi

A lovely site and for the most part, lovely people.

I do not have cancer, so many bravely facing that on here.

Far braver than me.

I am a complete mess at the moment, a Hospital Acquired Infection and the utter incompetence of the NHS in dealing with it.

Three years ago I was fine, looked 10 years younger than my age and fit.

I am now a shambolic wreck, I look like an 85 year old, no energy and sleep most of the time.

So much so that Guy, my son, who has been seriously injured, is wanting to come back to look after me, at great risk to his own health.

I have managed to persuade him otherwise.

I am normally a very scary guy, do not mess with me, best avoided by scam merchants, I do not look like a victim.

Yesterday was an eye opener.

I was targeted by distraction thieves, one at my front door and one trying to remove my lawnmower etc from the garden.

An old man , looking very frail, a victim, and I am ill at the moment.

The medication is affecting me.

It took me a couple of moments to realise what was going on.

I am very weak at the moment, the one at the front door was halfway in before I could put him down, the one at the side took 3 hits.

Very scary.

I feel for those on here who are vulnerable.

I have always thought of them, but until it happens to you, you do not truly understand.

I will get better, my present condition is transient.

It is however a reminder of what happens in years to come, when you are reliant upon others.

When I am 75, I will still be able to see them off.

85 is a different matter.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 08:21 AM

Re: Thank you.

Ah, I do feel sorry for you Swimmy, and you are still fit enough to fight these thieves off, which is a good thing.

Think positive and stay well.

Susie xxx
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 08:37 AM

Swim everybody is vulnerable at times but most of us use intelligence or the police to deal with such situations!

You often tell us how ill you are, so why not realize that you are unlikely to protect yourself with violence? All that will do is let the criminals know you are no longer able to protect yourself and make them realize that you are an easy target.

Your son is in no position to help you, because you tell us that he has major health problems, but maybe he would be safer at home than in Taiwan!

You may have been a scary man but that was in the past, and I think that attempting to deal with nasty men by using violence, is a big mistake now you are older..... Look what happened to Guy, and he is much younger than you
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 09:05 AM

I'm afraid I agree with twink, tbh I've never considered stuff worth fighting over, when my car radio was taken I was more upset they broke my sunroof than too the radio, if they had knocked the door and asked I'd have unlocked the car and given the radio to them, no need to break anything.

Anyway these days you can get into trouble dealing with things with violence, so just be careful you don't end up on the wrong end of the law too.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 09:10 AM

I don't quite understand this SF.

The man at the side took three hits - what hits?

Are you saying you fought them off - or did they get your stuff?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 09:31 AM

Hi

I live in a small village.

There is no Police presence here at all.

You will wait 40 minutes even in a dire emergency for help to arrive.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I don't quite understand this SF.

The man at the side took three hits - what hits?

Are you saying you fought them off - or did they get your stuff?
I very much suspect he did fight them off............and hopefully is feeling happy with the outcome. It's becoming apparent that phoning the police can often result in absolutely nothing happening........they have to prioritise and there's probably not much they can do an hour or so after the event, so must take some action or become totally complacent.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I live in a small village.

There is no Police presence here at all.

You will wait 40 minutes even in a dire emergency for help to arrive.
It's the same here that doesn't mean we can or should take law into our own hands swim. Much better they get a lawnmower than you lose your life. People are beaten to death or stabbed for just looking the wrong way at a person.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I very much suspect he did fight them off............and hopefully is feeling happy with the outcome

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am now a shambolic wreck, I look like an 85 year old, no energy and sleep most of the time.

Sorry I don't understand how a man in this condition could fight two fit men???
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

18-11-2017, 10:33 AM

Hi

I really do not get some of these responses.

A knock on the door, you go to it Julie, you are obviously on your own, a single female, looking ill.

A victim in their eyes.

One of your lads opens the door to them, big, strong and young, off they go, they are not a potential victim, they are trouble.

These people prey on the vulnerable.

When I answer the door normally, upright, astute, alert and with a certain presence, a legacy of my job.

Clean your drive for you?

No thanks, off they go.

Easier pickings.

Open the door after a couple of minutes, dressing gown on, hobbling, you are a victim in their eyes.

First scenario they go, not worth the hassle.

Second scenario, you are a potential victim, they try it on and then that is when it gets nasty.

I am no different to many others on here.

Knock on our doors, clean your drive for you?

One look at your Nathan, Tpin, Fender or Gasman and they would be off.

Looking for easier prey.

I look like easy prey at the minute, that is why they try it on.

A new experience for me, which is why it has opened my eyes to the victims, how scary is that?

It is also a first time for me, the first time I have ever not been able to deal with scumbags with a single hit.

It is scary, I am getting old.

I have no intention at all of letting that happen, I am concentrating on getting fit again.

I accept that I will be a victim in 20 years time, but until then, I have no intention of being a victim at all.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top