Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Re: Thank you.

Easier said than done when somebody is trying to part you from your property.

I invested in a great bit of security kit......a Hickory pick axe handle....you don't want to damage your hands.....oh and a dog.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 03:35 PM

Swim took the correct action. If word got out that he (or anyone else) was a pushover it would encourage further attacks. Better to make them think twice before they thought of doing something similar again.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 03:44 PM

I'm rarely one to tell others what to do for the best .. we all handle things differently and only know as much as we tell each other on here about our own lives.

So Swims .. have a hug from me, you're having it rough just now, you're clearly shaken up and so letting it out on here amongst friends can only be good ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Easier said than done when somebody is trying to part you from your property.

I invested in a great bit of security kit......a Hickory pick axe handle....you don't want to damage your hands.....oh and a dog.
Would your softie actually do anything tpin. I learned long ago bigger ones aren't always the most vicious they may just love the intruder to death instead !
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 05:01 PM

This violation of your property and person is unbelievable and I am sorry it happened to you.

A few suggestions:

First, you are tech/computer savvy so put a camera that points to the front door and exposed areas of the house and put a sign to that effect on the front window. If you don't want the camera, you can still purchase window decals that say the place is under video surveillance. Social media is a powerful tool and criminals are scared their photos and video could get out there in a heartbeat.

Second, there is no reason to answer your door to strangers. In this day and age, I always have advanced warning of friends and delivery people who are stopping by. The other night (around nine) a woman rang my bell with some credentials of some sort hanging around her neck while a man held back and stood by his car. There is no legitimate reason anyone who is not in distress should ring someone's doorbell that late, so I didn't answer and off she went. If it was important - she would have called. I turned the light on and off so they knew someone was in the house as they left - in case they were looking the place over. This is the one situation in which it might appear that I am rude, but so be it - better off safe and disparaged - than reading about how friendly I was in the obituary section . Also consider putting up lock/chain so you can partially open the door if you think that is necessary.

Always go to the door with your phone in either the camera setting or the emergency phone number (ours is 911) that it would only take one press of the button to notify the police.

Consider organizing in your neighborhood. We have neighborhood watch programs here and put signs up to that effect. We meet once a year, discuss issues (like overgrown bushes or streetlight concerns, good security companies, equipment, etc.), and set up our emergency contact and call lists. Our neighborhood is crime free, and I think it is a result of our being vigilant. We sometimes ask a police officer to come and speak so they can update us on the latest scams and crimes - with ideas on how to combat them. We've also become great friends as a result of this excuse to get together once a year. You like parties - so have one!

I know your health and your son's health has been frustrating and frightening this last year, and you have been victim to some nasty people out there, but don't let it get you down. This is yet another reason to fight your way back from your illness. You are the man you have always been and there is no reason that you have to stand by and be taken advantage of. You could have been hurt like your son was, Swimfeeders, so please be careful. You also have your honorary grandkids to think about so get busy and get safe.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 05:15 PM

Good advice Surfermon...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 10:59 PM

Glad you are okay Swim, sometimes a good kicking is all these lowlife's understand. I'd like to think I could do the same, but I've never had to fight anyone so I wouldn't know until it happened.....

Take care Swim, keep your doors locked and it might be a good idea to install CCTV like Surfermom suggests. In future don't answer the door and send the pictures from the camera to the police and let them sort it out....

I've posted a sign on the wall I bought when I visited Florida, it says:-

THIS HOUSE GUARDED BY SHOTGUN THREE NIGHTS A WEEK

YOU GUESS WHICH THREE
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 11:11 PM

THIS HOUSE GUARDED BY SHOTGUN THREE NIGHTS A WEEK

YOU GUESS WHICH THREE

I love this!! Great idea!!

Swims please read all the advice, there's some wise owls on here...I especially like the CCTV idea.

You stay safe now, and don't open the flipping door to anyone you don't know, install the bright light over the door xxx
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Swim took the correct action. If word got out that he (or anyone else) was a pushover it would encourage further attacks. Better to make them think twice before they thought of doing something similar again.
Unfortunately violence begets violence.

The problem here is that 2 thieves who have gotten a surprise will be angry and likely to come back in a group of 4 or 5 probably armed to "teach Swim a lesson".

There's no happy end to that story. If Swim manages to defend himself against the group, another bigger group will arrive.

Violence begets violence.

And for what? A lawnmower?

The smart move is to have covert surveillance running so that you film the footage of the theft and of any vehicle involved. Pass that to the police and let them catch and lock up the crims.

You can replace a lawnmower easily. You can not replace your body.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2017, 11:35 PM

Do not own an expensive Lawnmower, there's less Bovver with a Hover.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top