Join for free
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 05:03 PM

User profile service failed!

Odd problem on my friend's wife's laptop. On attempting to login to her user account she received this error message: 'User profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded'. Panic stations as she had a ton of course work that she couldn't access. Must admit I hadn't seen this error before but a quick Google search brought up some answers, most of which pointed at a Registry error.

Start - Regedit brings up the registry (not for the faint hearted).

Anyways I negotiated to the user profiles and the name of the account she uses wasn't there, only a user account and her daughter's account. Mmm - I figured she must have been the original account holder so should be linked to the 'user' account. There was another account there with a .bak extension that appeared to be the right account and not the user account (more gubbins inside it). Anyways another search on Google brought this very helpful video to my attention.

User profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

It was as I figured the .bak extension was the one that should have been linked and not the 'user' one. Somehow or other the profiles had been changed around. Anyways following the video provided the necessary fix, which was to swap them around by altering the extensions (bak on the other instead).

So if you come across this on your own laptop the above might be the answer for you .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Re: User profile service failed!

Good advice Mark, just what I would have done.....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 06:42 PM

.........me too (after I've had it translated into English !)
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Certainly pays handsomely to fix these computers. Nice bottle of whisky for my trouble and it only took me about 15 mins .
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

21-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Cor I hope he don't bring that laptop back today. Not thinking all that straight so far from attacking that bottle of whisky .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 11:42 AM

Well done Mark, I am often rewarded with gifts of alcoholic beverages for services rendered, but those who know me well usually donate a bottle of fine Sandemans port, much to my delight and not so severe on the head the next day.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top