Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 06:44 AM

Re: Ageing stone with manure soup.

I've never heard of this before either, and am intrigued!
Do let us know how it turns out!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
What is it that you are trying to age, surely not the new patio.
Yes Barry I had the old grey paving stones relayed on the patio and on the path across the lawn (I don't like new ones and they wouldn't blend with the wall).

There were three broken ones on the path which the silly builder replaced with white ones He put all three at the end and didn't even mix them in by the time I saw them they were laid and mortar applied and they stuck out like a sore thumb.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think you will find that stone is pretty old anyway, give or take a few million years.
These aren't Bruce I wish they were ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

14-09-2014, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
I've never heard of this before either, and am intrigued!
Do let us know how it turns out!
I decided to use the greeny brown liquid which seeps out of the bottom of the compost bin
It has done a great job and the white stones are now khaki coloured.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 05:22 AM

Will the rain not eventually wash that off??
Or will re-applying a few times do the trick?
I'm very curious now, as next year we will be redoing a short walkway to the house from the driveway, and we're not quite sure how we want to do it.
This has me very interested!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Yes Barry I had the old grey paving stones relayed on the patio and on the path across the lawn (I don't like new ones and they wouldn't blend with the wall).

There were three broken ones on the path which the silly builder replaced with white ones He put all three at the end and didn't even mix them in by the time I saw them they were laid and mortar applied and they stuck out like a sore thumb.
Your need to age the new stones is now understandable - I would be furious with the builder.
You can buy a cement dye. Its really for mixing into a dry mortar mix before adding water. I think I have a bit in my shed and could try putting some onto a stone and see what happens.............or have you tried that?
Alternatively try dylon, but I'm thinking a proper dye which is meant to stain permanently is more likely to work.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

15-09-2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Your need to age the new stones is now understandable - I would be furious with the builder.
You can buy a cement dye. Its really for mixing into a dry mortar mix before adding water. I think I have a bit in my shed and could try putting some onto a stone and see what happens.............or have you tried that?
Alternatively try dylon, but I'm thinking a proper dye which is meant to stain permanently is more likely to work.
Hi Lindy I looked at the stone dye and even a sample was £10. I thought of other dyes but want to keep it natural if I can. Most paving stones are a mix of colours some with a round patch of tiny lichen.
I will try dylon as a last resort though.

What I have already done is looking good and shouldn't wash off (the stone the compost bin stands on is permanently stained) . Next step is to add manure soup and some scrapings of lichen .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2014, 09:12 AM

I think you've done well there Meg, as stone and concrete are porous they will soak up a strong stain such as you describe so that you wouldn't be able to scrub it off even if you wanted to. Great idea..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

15-09-2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I think you've done well there Meg, as stone and concrete are porous they will soak up a strong stain such as you describe so that you wouldn't be able to scrub it off even if you wanted to. Great idea..
It is looking good now Barry very rustic.

My neighbour had her patio and wall replaced a couple of years ago with new slabs and walling and it looked orange and I though horrible.
I prefer old and rustic ..
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Lichen is very difficult to get rid of Meg and I wouldn't deliberately introduce it. Our driveway has become covered in lichen and I wish I could get rid of it. It's hard to clear off and even when we do it keeps coming back. It now completely dominates the driveway which is made up of cobbled setts of stone. It's OK on walls, but I am not too keen when it is on a paved surface.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top