Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 01:59 PM

Re: Ageing stone with manure soup.

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Lichen is very difficult to get rid of Meg and I wouldn't deliberately introduce it. Our driveway has become covered in lichen and I wish I could get rid of it. It's hard to clear off and even when we do it keeps coming back. It now completely dominates the driveway which is made up of cobbled setts of stone. It's OK on walls, but I am not too keen when it is on a paved surface.
Hi Rena I really like this type of lichen which already grows on my old paving stones ..

..and would like encourage it on the newer ones so they blend in..
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 02:10 PM

Yes that's what we have Meg, but it's taken hold and it has taken over the stone setts - so invasive. We would probably have been better with flag stones which could have taken it I think, but it's too late and too expensive to change over now.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 03:25 PM

As lichen is a type of plant it is susceptible to weed killers Rena, I spray our paving with a patio mosskiller which also kills most of the lichens, which then after a few weeks just sweeps away with a stiff yard brush..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
As lichen is a type of plant it is susceptible to weed killers Rena, I spray our paving with a patio mosskiller which also kills most of the lichens, which then after a few weeks just sweeps away with a stiff yard brush..
...I love lichen I think it has a certain beauty...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...I love lichen I think it has a certain beauty...
I agree Meg, I love to see it on old walls and in certain other places, but unlike Mastercard it's not welcome everywhere...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Rena I really like this type of lichen which already grows on my old paving stones ..

..and would like encourage it on the newer ones so they blend in..
The damn stuff has taken over my roof over 30 years. The spore gets into my rainwater tanks. Thinking of solving the problem with a new roof.

Hate it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->

Thanks Plantman - I've been trying to scrub it off, but even with a Karcher with one of those round scrubbing things attached it is difficult to remove. Not tried weedkiller and I will have to give it a go, although I'm always wary of using it because of Bonnie my dog.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top