Join for free
Page 9 of 13 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Re: Genealogy

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Sweetie , do you have any tips on how to find prison inmates? Is it possible to find release dates and such stuff?
Hi Morti - have you tried here:-

Archivist
NCCL Galleries of Justice
High Pavement
Lace market
Nottingham NG1 1HN
Email: bev.baker@nccl.org.uk

or national archives at Kew
enquiries@nationalarchives.gov.uk

or Ministry of Justice
opengovernment@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 02:05 PM

I am making good use of my enforced 'down time' by researching further into the family history. Have found several separate entries in the 'England and Wales Criminal Registers' and also the 'Dorchester Prison admission and discharge register' for my paternal 4 x great grandfather - unfortunately they were written in blue ink and are so faded they are unreadable - but he must have been a bit of a rogue and lucky to have not been deported!! Will try searching the newspaper archives to see if they yield anymore information.

Meanwhile - back with the Irish contingent - Dundalk Museum have sent me a copy of a fantastic document. It is a half yearly account of ships and crew of 'Home Trade Ships' for the port of Dublin, July 1869 - on which three generations of my family are entered - all them named Robert Stowell - and all became Master Mariners!

Archivist at work!

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

24-06-2018, 02:19 PM

Good grief - just found another entry for 4 x Grt Granddad - this one I could read. At the Lent Assizes in Dorchester 1816 - he was accused by a Rev Mundon of stealing 2 x bacon faggots !! He was acquitted.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 07:27 PM

At least you can eat bacon faggots. my g-g-grandma was a laundry thief and flogged them to pawn shops.
Got 4 or 5 convictions (that I know of).
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 09:21 PM

A distant relation of mine found a relation we both share from London who was born circa 1860, she was walking home one night and was clobbered by a young man who hit her in the face with of all things a Salmon, poor woman died a few days later in hospital, we never found out why she was hit or who did it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

27-06-2018, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
A distant relation of mine found a relation we both share from London who was born circa 1860, she was walking home one night and was clobbered by a young man who hit her in the face with of all things a Salmon, poor woman died a few days later in hospital, we never found out why she was hit or who did it.
How very strange!

It is amazing what can be found once you start rummaging!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

27-06-2018, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
At least you can eat bacon faggots. my g-g-grandma was a laundry thief and flogged them to pawn shops.
Got 4 or 5 convictions (that I know of).
My g-g-g-grandma was fined £10 for stealing two black dresses from a pawn shop! Do you think they were working together, Morti? If we keep going we may find we are related!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

27-06-2018, 06:31 AM

The thing I am finding most amusing is the disparity between the Spear side and the Distaff side of my family. In the 1700s and early 1800s, Dad's lot are peasants and appear to be rogues - Mother's lot are all very upper middle class - Priests, Nuns, Civil Engineers etc., No wonder there was so much opposition to the marriage!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2018, 07:34 AM

I just read this thread right through this thread it's so interesting.

My husband has worked on his family tree and has gone back to the 1600s. He has Slave Masters in his tree and there are quite a lot of people in the Caribbean with his surname as slaves often took the name of the Slave Master...terrible really.

Mine is more difficult but I have found a GG Grandfather on my mother's side who was a canal boat man from Ripon.

Tabby yours sounds really interesting
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

27-06-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I just read this thread right through this thread it's so interesting.

My husband has worked on his family tree and has gone back to the 1600s. He has Slave Masters in his tree and there are quite a lot of people in the Caribbean with his surname as slaves often took the name of the Slave Master...terrible really.

Mine is more difficult but I have found a GG Grandfather on my mother's side who was a canal boat man from Ripon.

Tabby yours sounds really interesting
1600s - wow - I am really impressed with that. The farthest I have managed - with provenance - is 1732. That is my fathers side. Mothers side are more difficult as a lot of records were destroyed in 'the troubles'. It does become addictive though, summer.

I go for months - banging my head on a brick wall - finding nothing - then exciting things such as the celebrations in Dundalk happen - and I am off again like a ferret down a rabbit burrow!

Page 9 of 13 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top