Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 10:40 AM

Re: Massive Asteroid/Meteorite

A friend of mine saw it, she got very excited and put a video clip of it on Facebook she thought it was a UFO. which obviously it was but not the little green men type she had envisaged.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Interestingly, most meteors, most likely including the one in the video, are very small. The vast majority are around the size of a grain of sand up pto the size of a marble.

Even though they are tiny, meteors light up the sky because of their speed - about 5-50 miles per second. When they hit the molecule-rich atmosphere, friction causes the temperatures of the object to reach as high as 1,600, to 1,700 degrees C, causing the rock to disintegrate. The trail of the very fine particles at high temperatures are what we see, which can be up to a few meters wide and a mile or more long.

For a space object to be an asteroid, it has to be 100 meters or more in length. For a meteor to become a meteorite, it has to touch the ground.

The brightest, most spectacular and longest lasting one I ever saw was on a trip across the Pacific in the middle on the night. As everyone else's shades were drawn, so I suspect I was the only human who observed it. It was a remarkable experience.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 11:44 PM

It wasn't an asteroid and it was probably the size of a marble. The meteor that hit the atmosphere over Russia in 2013(ish) was something like 20 metres in diameter.

edit : Didn't see Surfer Moms message before I wrote this so - what she said.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It wasn't an asteroid and it was probably the size of a marble. The meteor that hit the atmosphere over Russia in 2013(ish) was something like 20 metres in diameter.

edit : Didn't see Surfer Moms message before I wrote this so - what she said.
You sure about that 20 metres? That is bloody enormous!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
You sure about that 20 metres? That is bloody enormous!
I read that somewhere, it was a massive explosion, visible in daylight and over a 1000 buildings damaged and thousands of injuries as a result. I am going by memory but that is roughly right.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

09-01-2018, 02:30 AM

Perhaps I should add that I read it in something reputable like the New Scientist or Nature not in a clickbait article on social media.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 03:10 AM

According to Wiki your 20 metres would appear to be correct but I have reservations somehow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

09-01-2018, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
According to Wiki your 20 metres would appear to be correct but I have reservations somehow. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor
Interesting entry. I didn't know that they had found a 600mm chunk of it in the lake. I did know that they had recovered thousands of small fragments
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 01:22 PM

a rock the size of a marble who vapourise almost instantly. We'd likely never see it. To create a sizable ball of flame and be seen for some 5-10 seconds by people across the width of Britain would suggest it was much larger.

It is fortunate imo that it did burn up.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

09-01-2018, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
a rock the size of a marble who vapourise almost instantly. We'd likely never see it. To create a sizable ball of flame and be seen for some 5-10 seconds by people across the width of Britain would suggest it was much larger.

It is fortunate imo that it did burn up.
Twaddle!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top