Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 10:41 PM

Re: We were lied to! Secret Document Shows Why!

OGF every voter has a different story.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I wasn't old enough to vote for or against all those years ago. But I do know the history of the dire economic situation Britain was in at the time. Joining the EEC made a huge amount of sense at that time. It helped us grow and become wealthy and developed. I certainly remember what life was like as a child. We had limited goods in the shops compared to the 80s and after, we had a sleepy economy and not much dynamism. People were leaving to go abroad to places like Saudi so they could earn decent money because tax was prohibitive and nobody had any money. I seem to recall we were part of the ERM before joining. We left that, we didn't join the Euro, we didn't join schengen, we had an arrangement of "EU-lite". Membership of the EEC helped us on the path to realising our potential as a global economy.
Wasn't that more to do with our recovery after two world wars Annie?
We owed an awful lot of money, and were desperately short of labour due to our young men giving their lives for the country.

European Unity has quite transparently been a move towards the "new world order". Increased integration, collaboration, unity and world peace. Leading to shared currencies, shared political ideals, shared wealth, shared economies, shared freedom. It was driven by people like Kennedy and was lauded by the US. It's not been a secret that the US had such a plan for Europe so that never again would the area be torn up by brutal wars. Others in the US had plans to ensure that the whole world was included so they went off trying to stop various regimes from functioning.

So maybe people who voted for the EEC all those years ago were not informed of the bigger picture.....
It's been tried before and failed. Look what happened to the USSR. Just because you share currencies, political ideas and give it a name doesn't mean you will prevent war between member states. You just create a different kind of war.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 10:44 PM

OGF every voter has a different story.
There's always the exception that proves the rule Annie....
I think you'll find that there is generally unity between brexit voters. It may vary dependent on a geographical influence.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Wasn't that more to do with our recovery after two world wars Annie?
We owed an awful lot of money, and were desperately short of labour due to our young men giving their lives for the country.

It's been tried before and failed. Look what happened to the USSR. Just because you share currencies, political ideas and give it a name doesn't mean you will prevent war between member states. You just create a different kind of war.

OGF I am talking about the way things were in the early 1970s. This was post the "you've never had it so good" years. These were the years OPEC took action. Prices went through the roof. We needed to join the EEC for stability and prosperity. It helped us guarantee supplies during a terrible period of economic uncertainty.

The EU has prevented war breaking out in member states since 1939. Do we want to go back to a fragmented Europe? According to a friend who worked in various western European countries all the tensions are still there. It's the EU that stops them taking that further.

States didn't join the Soviet bloc through choice. States joined the EU because they wanted to. Huge difference.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

02-03-2018, 11:11 PM

There's always the exception that proves the rule Annie....
I think you'll find that there is generally unity between brexit voters. It may vary dependent on a geographical influence.
You make it sound like they will be singing "the red flag flying high" and linking arms. But all the leave voters I know have nothing in common with each other and voted leave for totally different reasons.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 12:02 AM

Absolutely Moscow.....
There's a good reason why most older people voted to exit the EU, because they have grown up with it and seen it develop from being a 'Good Idea' to the all consuming and expensive monster it has turned out to be with it's tentacles reaching into everyday life. And it turns out it was intended all along.
The remainers believed that the brexiteers voted just on the immigration issue, but for most voters I spoke to, could see that it is an undemocratic layer of bureaucracy that should not be necessary in order to trade with our European neighbours. And to all those remainers who think that we voted to exit Europe, on the contrary, we voted to exit the EU not Europe.
100% agree.

It was a political decision based on the direction of travel the EU had taken and was intended to take.
Mass immigration and the negative effect that had on the working class was a consequence of that but was never even remotely the main issue.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 02:21 AM

"We were lied to! Secret Document Shows Why!"

Well somehow "I told you so" just doesn't quite cut it !!

40 years of Common Purpose stealth, fraud and skulduggery.
All those responsible should be put on trial for treason.

No way they will give up 40 yrs of effort to now allow us to leave the EU. Just isn't gonna happen. It's just going to be a fudge.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
"We were lied to! Secret Document Shows Why!"

Well somehow "I told you so" just doesn't quite cut it !!

40 years of Common Purpose stealth, fraud and skulduggery.
All those responsible should be put on trial for treason.

No way they will give up 40 yrs of effort to now allow us to leave the EU. Just isn't gonna happen. It's just going to be a fudge.
Hi

We are leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union.

The two most important things to do to leave.

We are not leaving on 31st March 2019,that is just a con.

We are paying a mint to get a transition period,but that is down to our incompetence.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 10:30 AM

I still say we went in against the wishes of the people. how come you ask?

Well the majority voted to stay out, what happened is those that didn't vote were deemed by the government to be in favour of going in, therefore the none voters and the "in" voters together out voted those wanting to stay out.

Of course the government will never admit it, more so now this last vote was to leave
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We are leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union.

The two most important things to do to leave.
Actually Swim, for me, the most important element is leaving the EU and the ECJ, i.e. no longer being subjected to EU laws and EU control and the whims of the ECJ.

Restoring the power of our government and our justice system is paramount. Being able to properly meet out justice to those committing crime is vital. Restoring the British Constitution equally vital.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top