Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 06:02 AM

Re: Kilauea Erupting

It was reported on our national news last night Surfermum it showed the lava flow moving very sowly engulfing everything in it's way, homes cars trees all just swallowed up and people being evacuated ... very scary.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
It was reported on our national news last night Surfermum it showed the lava flow moving very sowly engulfing everything in it's way, homes cars trees all just swallowed up and people being evacuated ... very scary.
Hi

I can cope with Volcanic eruptions.

It is earthquakes which get to me, no warning at all.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I can cope with Volcanic eruptions.

It is earthquakes which get to me, no warning at all.
Swims I was once in an earthquake on kefalonia only a small one 4.9 But it scared me daft I wanted to come to come home straight away, I stayed for the rest of the holiday but not going back....not ever.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Swims I was once in an earthquake on kefalonia only a small one 4.9 But it scared me daft .
Ditto. Perhaps we experienced the same one. Mine happened 2-3 years ago. I was still in bed, on board a cruise ship at the time which was moored in the bay. I felt strong vibrations shaking me in bed and had assumed it was the ship's thrusters firing up. Passengers later told me it was an earthquake.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 05:07 PM

Some spectacular photos of the eruption and lava flows on this website:

http://www.volcanolive.com/kilauea.html
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

08-05-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Ditto. Perhaps we experienced the same one. Mine happened 2-3 years ago. I was still in bed, on board a cruise ship at the time which was moored in the bay. I felt strong vibrations shaking me in bed and had assumed it was the ship's thrusters firing up. Passengers later told me it was an earthquake.
Nope mine was about 8 years ago but the epicentre was out in the bay same as the one you experienced... did you know that in 1953 over 700 people were killed on the island in a massive quake? the islanders are waiting for the next big one .... another place I wouldn't live
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 06:37 PM

It seems I have always lived in some disaster prone region - pool and house damaged in California earthquake, tornado alley in Kansas, hurricanes - twice with significant damage, and Hawai'i with volcanoes - mostly vog to be concerned about. The Typhoid Mary of natural disasters .

There's much to do about it when you are in a place based on work except adapt, prepare, and insure. That said, I am really, really tempted to retire on the Big Island of Hawai'i in the Kona or Hilo areas that are for the most part unaffected. Sure would be nice to round out the most active/capable of my days in such a phenomenal place. Lesser of evils, I suppose
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 02:48 PM

Data is beautiful!

The most significant concerns from the eruption is the sulfur dioxide being emitted from Kilauea, affecting different parts of the island.

Sulfur dioxide in high concentrations is deadly and corrosive, with long-term exposure being deadly.

This animated map shows the spread of the gas across the islands.

The lesser amounts being emitted on the other island is mostly the burning of fossil fuels, and decay organic material, in significantly smaller amounts.

(There is enough purple and red that I will be wearing a mask when I am outdoors for significant periods, though I'll be staying on the NE side to avoid long-term exposure .)

This link may take a few seconds to play:

http://weather.hawaii.edu/vmap/hyspl...w&variable=so2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 10:07 AM

They have this amazing footage on the BBC website today :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-u...flows-by-night

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top