Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 10:39 PM

Customs Union - just what is the problem?

On a day when the Business Secretary was bigging up the customs union on the Marr show, I was just curious what is so wrong with being in this arrangement? Why exactly do the pro-brexit crowd object?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 06:17 AM

Re: Customs Union - just what is the problem?

Hi

It is because it would hinder the UK signing it's own Trade Deals when we eventually leave.

I personally do not have an issue with it.

The World is not coming running wanting Trade Deals, in fact the opposite is true.

Liam Fox's dream of the UK leading the World in changing trade Deals which include Services has been slapped down by all and sundry.

His dream of simply carrying over the existing deals we have as part of the EU has disappeared, complaints made to the WTO, which take years to resolve.

The EU is forging ahead with Trade Deals with Japan, South Korea and Mexico which we will not be part of.

The Brexiteers are still fighting amongst themselves and not providing the funds and leadership required to deliver.

I feel that we have been let down badly by incompetent Politicians.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 10:25 AM

I don't understand why the extreme pro-brexit crowd are so keen on reinventing the wheel. Where have hard numbers been provided that demonstrate this will be advantageous? Where are the figures on how much this vanity project will cost?

John Redwood was on the radio the other day saying that we are asking to access the single market without paying any tariffs and that the EU are being awkward by focusing on the Irish border. What planet is he on?
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't understand why the extreme pro-brexit crowd are so keen on reinventing the wheel. Where have hard numbers been provided that demonstrate this will be advantageous? Where are the figures on how much this vanity project will cost?

John Redwood was on the radio the other day saying that we are asking to access the single market without paying any tariffs and that the EU are being awkward by focusing on the Irish border. What planet is he on?
You should temper your language if you want a proper discussion.

For a start .....there is no such thing as 'extreme' Brexit.

There is just Brexit.

Brexit means we end our membership of the EU and form a new trading and political relationship.

If we continue, post Brexit, to be in the customs union in the same way we are now then, effectively, we haven't left the EU........ That's quite simple to understand.

Tariffs are repressive and discriminatory and I'm shocked you support their use by one the richest trading blocs on planet Earth.

Your comment that British Sovereignty is a vanity project is, again, shocking and proves how little you understand a subject you are wont to comment so freely upon.

The Irish Border is being used by the EU as a lever to get their way on other matters. I've come to the conclusion that we let the EU impose the hard border it threatens and we can let the EU build it's barriers and fences .......we don't have to have any part of that. The EU can then justify it's construction......tbh , the Irish border is an easily solved problem....

As for Swimmy banging on about the Trade Deals we haven't signed..........That's because we can't sign any until we have left the EU.
The EU can sign 200 trade deals between now and March....Every one the EU concludes with another country means we are in a better position to sign one ourselves post Brexit..
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-05-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->

If we continue, post Brexit, to be in the customs union in the same way we are now then, effectively, we haven't left the EU........ That's quite simple to understand.
Well then we aren't leaving because we sure as hell are going to remain in the customs union & hopefully the single market. Absolutely no point in wasting time and money on new trade deals that will be identical to what we already have but on less favourable terms.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:50 PM

Hi

Of course we cannot sign any Trade Deals now, we are still in the EU.

The Brexiteers promised that a Trade Deal with the EU would be the easiest to negotiate, a done deal.

That has proved not to be the case.

We are being held to ransom by Ireland.

They also promised that the existing Trade Deals we had as part of the EU would just be carried over.

This has not been the case, there have been complaints to the WHO.

These take years to resolve.

The WTO Dispute Procedure is in disarray, all down to Trump objecting to the appointment of new Arbiters.

There is a massive misconception here.

The existing EU Deals we are part of cannot be replicated unless we follow EU Standards.

That is the basis on which the deals were done.

The other thing is that the Deals were done on the basis that the UK had full Access to the Single Market.

We are leaving the Single Market, so we have to renegotiate from scratch.

We simply do not have the resources to do this.

I still believe that Leaving was the right thing.

I do not believe for one moment that it will not cost and that we will save money.

The Brexiteers have simply not delivered on a single promise.

My view is that May should resign and let the Brexiteers negotiate.

Then we would know how accurate they were on their promises.

Let them deliver on their we can have our cake and eat it promises.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Of course we cannot sign any Trade Deals now, we are still in the EU.
Exactly what I just said.......That's taken you over a year to finally get it !

Hard to criticise the Gov't for not signing trade deals when we aren't permitted by the EU to sign trade deals........yet you have been doing just that for over a year!!

As for your point that May should resign........that's ridiculous.

She hasn't put a foot wrong and has side swerved every attempt to derail her Brexit plans.

Any claims that the cross-party movement that was the Leave campaign made during the referendum is not for May to comment on nor adhere to as they aren't the ones tasked with delivering Brexit.

The Gov't is totally removed from the referendum campaign but has to deliver Brexit , which is well down the road to achieving.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-05-2018, 10:33 PM

We certainly don't want May to resign. There is nobody with any common sense to take over.

Why would we want to abandon EU standards anyway? Seems like madness to even contemplate that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
You should temper your language if you want a proper discussion.

For a start .....there is no such thing as 'extreme' Brexit.

There is just Brexit.

Brexit means we end our membership of the EU and form a new trading and political relationship.

Tariffs are repressive and discriminatory and I'm shocked you support their use by one the richest trading blocs on planet Earth.

Your comment that British Sovereignty is a vanity project is, again, shocking and proves how little you understand a subject you are wont to comment so freely upon.

The Irish Border is being used by the EU as a lever to get their way on other matters. I've come to the conclusion that we let the EU impose the hard border it threatens and we can let the EU build it's barriers and fences .......we don't have to have any part of that. The EU can then justify it's construction......tbh , the Irish border is an easily solved problem....

As for Swimmy banging on about the Trade Deals we haven't signed..........That's because we can't sign any until we have left the EU.
The EU can sign 200 trade deals between now and March....Every one the EU concludes with another country means we are in a better position to sign one ourselves post Brexit..
Well said that man.

As for appropriate language, you'll never hear me referring to remainiacs in a less than polite manner!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well then we aren't leaving because we sure as hell are going to remain in the customs union & hopefully the single market. Absolutely no point in wasting time and money on new trade deals that will be identical to what we already have but on less favourable terms.
Are we really?

I see an eggy face appearing in the not too distant future!

It's quite simple.

A legally binding referendum (whatever the remainiacs might claim) determined that we will leave the EU.

If that shouldn't happen for any reason, it will demonstrate that democratic decisions may no longer be relied upon to be honoured. Therefore the UK could be regarded as no longer a democratic nation.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top