Join for free
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Save the Children

Good to see that Save the Children charity is using their charitable contributions wisely and getting "great value" for the starving children portrayed in their expensive Chritsmas Day "advert" in the middle of Coronation Street.

I for one was surprised that the £8billion we all, as British taxpayers, give in overseas aid every year is not being spent to stop these appalling images once and for all.
Mind you our government has not got a good record for regarding wasting money.

Still Sir Bob couldn't do it 30 years ago, Save the Children havent a hope by wasting money on ads on TV.

Out of principle I would never give them anything now.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Re: Save the Children

Not sure that charities have to pay for those ads?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Personally I don't support any charity who purport to save the peoples of Africa, and our foreign aid is doing no more, in many cases, than perpetuating poverty and deprivation abroad. Save the Children, if you think it is their place and not the place of the government of the countries involved, should in my opinion concentrate on saving these kids from being born in the first place, and the prevention of the continual breeding by peoples that rely on the land, but when there is no prospect of the land supporting them.

This is something that will have to considered at some point soon by every nation on earth. By our continual, seemingly unstoppable accelerating birth rate, we are becoming the equivalent of human ants that devour everything before us and leave nothing but dust in our wake...
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2012, 12:21 PM

I don't know either but I have to say I agree with Elbee on this one.

I think those adverts are just wrong.

Everybody knows what goes on and those who want to will donate without seeing all those repulsive pictures.

I give to the Cats Protection League (as I have for years) and the reason I always give them a one off donation at Christmas in addition to my monthly donations is because they don't beg for the money, they simply do good and get on with it rather than putting adverts on television.

Prevention is better than cure, that's all I'm saying.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Personally I don't support any charity who purport to save the peoples of Africa, and our foreign aid is doing no more, in many cases, than perpetuating poverty and deprivation abroad. Save the Children, if you think it is their place and not the place of the government of the countries involved, should in my opinion concentrate on saving these kids from being born in the first place, and the prevention of the continual breeding by peoples that rely on the land, but when there is no prospect of the land supporting them.

This is something that will have to considered at some point soon by every nation on earth. By our continual, seemingly unstoppable accelerating birth rate, we are becoming the equivalent of human ants that devour everything before us and leave nothing but dust in our wake...
Very well said Barry, I agree wholeheartedly.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Personally I totally disagree with you and do exactly the opposite; I don't give to any charities that operate at home (Oh, except $30 to the local PCYC - Police Boy's Club) or any religious based charity.

I support Médecins Sans Frontières and UNICEF on the basis that even the poorest person in this country is infinitely better off than anybody in a third world country where these organisations operate.

Just my point of view.
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Not sure that ITV would give away a free slot in thre middle of Christmas Coronation Street. Maybe late at night of afternoons.

Charities waste a large proportion of what they are given on admin and marketting. It is just plain wrong. I am pleased that thise that have replied tend to agree.

I too support the Cats Protection League as cats are a joy for anyone who loves them and have entriced my life for the last 25 years.

Another charity that doesnt beg for your money or waste it is WORLD VISION. You can see on their website how each £1 raised is being spent improving the lives and prospects of the poor in the thrid world not just feeding them at Christmas.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top