Join for free
Page 15 of 20 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 10:09 PM

Re: Brexit referendum, have you changed your mind?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It's simple. I have explained before, it is the right to elect our government.

We have no say in who is elected to the European Commission, which is where the real power lies.
Absolutely, strip away one unaccountable level of dictatorship and then UK politicians have fewer hiding places.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
You seem to think brexit was a reflection on Ireland.

It wasn't.

Britain has always had a special relationship with Ireland and that could continue.
Exactly. I have several Irish friends and regard the Irish as good, friendly people.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Absolutely, strip away one unaccountable level of dictatorship and then UK politicians have fewer hiding places.
Yes, and while we're at it, we could get rid of Scottish, Welsh and N.I. governments too. They are nothing more than glorified local authorities.

How many layers of government do we need.

Just the one in Westminster, as far as I'm concerned.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 10:17 PM

It isn't about financial benefit.
Yes that's as I thought. Absolutely no personal benefits for the average person on the street trying to make ends meet.
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 10:23 PM

It's simple. I have explained before, it is the right to elect our government.

We have no say in who is elected to the European Commission, which is where the real power lies.
The truth is you have a vote - for members of the European Parliament and in turn, government's votes for their member of the European Commission. Why is that so different from voting for your MP, whose interests will often be to the party whip, not to his local constituency, than a European wide election. Again, I say it, the EU is a force for good. This has been proven. European peace and prosperity is the result. Like everything else, people have this habit of knocking that which works. As I said before, time will tell. And what if you are wrong? What will you say? Sorry? Too late!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-03-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yes that's as I thought. Absolutely no personal benefits for the average person on the street trying to make ends meet.
In the short term, perhaps. But some of us can see beyond the end of our noses.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-03-2018, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
The truth is you have a vote - for members of the European Parliament and in turn, government's votes for their member of the European Commission. Why is that so different from voting for your MP, whose interests will often be to the party whip, not to his local constituency, than a European wide election. Again, I say it, the EU is a force for good. This has been proven. European peace and prosperity is the result. Like everything else, people have this habit of knocking that which works. As I said before, time will tell. And what if you are wrong? What will you say? Sorry? Too late!
The European Parliament is nothing more than a debating chamber. They have no real power at all.

Yes, Britain has one member of the European Commission; a one in twenty-eight chance of making any difference.

I'd rather have ALL of our government elected by our own people.

Yes, it is a commonly held misunderstanding that the EU is the reason we have had peace in Europe for the past 70-odd years (well, apart from such things as the unrest in such places as the old Yugoslavia!).

The truth is that it is NATO that has kept the peace and not the EU for two quite simple reasons: firstly, the EU didn't appear until quite recently; secondly, the EU countries don't have very impressive armed services, even collectively. If it were not for the backing of the US, Russia could have walked across Europe virtually unopposed inside a couple of weeks!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 11:18 PM

In the short term, perhaps. But some of us can see beyond the end of our noses.
That's because by voting brexit you've cut your nose off to spite your face!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 05:32 AM

I agree JBR I still think we will be better off out of it. I wouldn't change my vote.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 08:14 AM

I’d vote Remain again, of course.
But in some ways my position has changed since the referendum.
When I first considered the issues, I was about 60 to 40 in favour of Remain and did have some issues with the EU.

Since the result and having heard and seen the attitudes of many Brexiters, the complicated mess of the negotiations and the grim future that Brexit will condemn us to, my issues with the EU have paled into insignificance and I’m now 100% in favour of Remain.

Page 15 of 20 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top