Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 12:37 PM

Re: Teaching Brexit

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Oxbridge needing to change is wholly and utterly unrelated to Brexit.
Indeed I agree that universities are nothing to do with Brexit. So pro-brexit politicians should stick their beaks elsewhere.

It's a shame that, like the majority on the left it would seem, you are wholly incapable of accepting an alternative POV to your own on it's own merits and seek to 'understand' it by twisting, changing and reshaping it to fit your own prejudices i.e. by putting in to your own words....or with 'in other words' or 'so you are saying' type responses
You assume I'm on the left. My POV on Brexit comes from knowledge of economics, business and finance and nobody here or anywhere has explained to me the economic benefits for our economy, at least none of the arguments make any sense if you understand the way things work. Some here actually say that our economy doesn't matter, but if we leave with no deal it will suddenly matter very much to very many people.

I don't care for emotional arguments, conspiracy theories, the patriotic chest-beating of a Brexit mob baying for blood of remain voters.

The fact that we are poor at managing our resources, are unable to control our borders, allow big business to run roughshod over workers and have allowed our property market prices to freewheel into the sky is our fault and not down to the EU. This ineptitude will not disappear with Brexit. It will become more pronounced because of the complexity and cost of leaving.

I wonder if the fear of actually agreeing with your opponents and accepting the clarity and sense of their arguments is what you are really fighting against.

That's either a sign of immaturity or a stunted intellect I should think.
Perhaps you could come up with a convincing argument that's substantiated with hard facts and logic? Getting personal as you are now indicates that you have nothing relevant to add.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 01:43 PM

I don't agree with Annie on this subject but I'd never say she had a stunted intellect, she's quite a clever lady IMO
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 07:43 PM

Thanks Julie we agree on many other subjects and your posts are always highly intelligent, insightful and balanced.

I will change my mind on Brexit when I see the government get their act together and agree a good outcome for the economy and for the EU citizens and Brits abroad, rather than attacking our own institutions.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 07:48 PM

Brexit is going to be a disaster, if I could afford it I would be gone tomorrow, I don't want to live in a country with so many short sighted fools in it.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Brexit is going to be a disaster, if I could afford it I would be gone tomorrow, I don't want to live in a country with so many short sighted fools in it.
Buy shares in SpecSavers if you want to make money from short sighted people. That way you'll have enough to leave and do us all a favour.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't agree with Annie on this subject but I'd never say she had a stunted intellect, she's quite a clever lady IMO
Clever but blinkered, perhaps.

Btw I only offered the stunted intellect label as an option, I don't know her well enough to categorically make such a statement, so Not Guilty of personal abuse , but Guilty of opening up an avenue of debate.

The point is, Remainers are guilty of making definitive statements, claims and predictions of impending disaster which is crystal ball gazing of the worst and most disingenuous kind.
Why do they do it?........Because they want the Brexit negotiations to fail and the UK to suffer..That's what they want just so their ego's don't have to suffer the ignominy of being on the wrong side of the Brexit argument and the wrong side of history;Not realising Leavers are more concerned about the completion of the divorce proceedings and not concerned about being a few pennies worse off.

You can't put a price on FREEEEEEEEDDDDOMMMMMMM!!!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:08 PM

None of us want the UK to suffer so stop accusing us of that, but we have enough sense to see what is going to happen unlike you.
Moscow
Scotland

31-10-2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks Julie we agree on many other subjects and your posts are always highly intelligent, insightful and balanced.

I will change my mind on Brexit when I see the government get their act together and agree a good outcome for the economy and for the EU citizens and Brits abroad, rather than attacking our own institutions.
The economy will take care of itself.

Eu citizens will be treated exactly the same as British citizens by dint of being subject to British Law administered through the British justice system........If it's good enough for us , it must be good enough for them....Just like if you went to Russia, or Bhutan or the DRC or Australia or anywhere else you( or I ) would be subject to the laws of that, or those, particular countries.

Brits abroad.....likewise !

All sorted.....

Oh , except our wonderful Universities......ummm need to be more balanced , less indoctrinating , less self serving.
Moscow
Scotland

31-10-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
None of us want the UK to suffer so stop accusing us of that, but we have enough sense to see what is going to happen unlike you.
I don't believe you. Your every utterance and action and your whole narrative is to do the UK's position in these negotiations a disservice.
It's bitter, divisive and politically motivated.

I have enough sense to see what is happening, unlike YOU!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

31-10-2017, 11:57 PM

The economy will take care of itself.
Now who is the one with a crystal ball? The economy is a moving feast. Business requires certainty. The government is not providing certainty. They are afraid to publish facts from their scoping exercise because it will spook business. Business has no patriotic ties. They go where it's best to trade.

Eu citizens will be treated exactly the same as British citizens by dint of being subject to British Law administered through the British justice system........If it's good enough for us , it must be good enough for them....Just like if you went to Russia, or Bhutan or the DRC or Australia or anywhere else you( or I ) would be subject to the laws of that, or those, particular countries.

Brits abroad.....likewise !

All sorted.....

Obviously anyone who visits another country is subject to the law of the land. But I was talking about the rights of people who have lived here for years. They didn't bother getting citizenship because they didn't need to under the legal system we currently have. Rights to work, rights to free services, rights to stay here etc. It's ridiculous that people who have married Brits and had kids are having their status questioned suddenly. Letters going out from the home office etc. Absolutely unacceptable.

Oh , except our wonderful Universities......ummm need to be more balanced , less indoctrinating , less self serving.
So you think whatever political party we have in power at any time should dictate to the universities what to teach?

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top