Join for free
Page 131 of 274 « First < 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 141 181 231 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:22 AM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Morning Solo,
You're fine mate, I always scroll back a bit after each track I post so as not to miss any that find their way in

Thanks for clearing that one up. Strange why they didn't like the track though.
Not so much the music, more the dressing up for it .

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:24 AM

No.390: "Pretzel Logic" by Steely Dan (1974)

Continuing these sporadic appearances by this most intelligent of American bands, the jazz-rock fusion of Steely Dan would usually guarantee a highly well-written album on its release. This one was no exception, containing as it did this classic single:

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:25 AM

Ommadawn was my favorite. Oldfield album,, when he did his first tour he had come off a course to overcome his painful shyness i think it was his second gig at Newcastle City Hall and went down a storm off then back for an encore the crowd would not stop cheering for more.

Mike came back by himself, picked up a guitar and shouted out what do you want to hear, we were treated to 20mintes of allsorts off the cuff, But when he played the Blaydon Races the roof came off.

PS if you have not heard it dig out The Songs of Distant Earth.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Not so much the music, more the dressing up for it .

Haha. Oh yes, I remember that now. What was it with Queen and those elaborate costumes around that album. This was another fancy dress episode for another song off that record; the Coronation Street spoof!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Ommadawn was my favorite. Oldfield album,, when he did his first tour he had come off a course to overcome his painful shyness i think it was his second gig at Newcastle City Hall and went down a storm off then back for an encore the crowd would not stop cheering for more.

Mike came back by himself, picked up a guitar and shouted out what do you want to hear, we were treated to 20mintes of allsorts off the cuff, But when he played the Blaydon Races the roof came off.

PS if you have not heard it dig out The Songs of Distant Earth.
I remember Mike Oldfield's problems with shyness when he did a course called 'Exogenesis' (or something similar) in the late 1970's to try to combat it. I myself was terrible as a child and it interested me reading about this treatment at the time, though I never went forward with it...too shy to ask! I remember Mike Oldfield 'coming out of his shell' when he was suddenly featured on the cover of Melody Maker naked but for a copy of his latest album covering his mid-section! The course seemed to have worked for him lol!

I've heard snippets of The Songs Of Distant Earth, Nom but only on compilations, so I'll be 'acquiring' the album after I post these few in my list. Thanks for that.
Meanwhile, I've found an article about the Newcastle concert you mentioned, or maybe one similar from Newcastle in 1980, here's the link. Plus a vid from Songs of Distant Earth...for once not blocked by the powers that be:

https://vintagerock.wordpress.com/20...eptember-1982/

On with the chart in a second, folks...
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:40 AM

Floydy you could stop right here whilst I wax lyrical on the God of music Mike Oldfield.

His collaboration with artist was/is unique especially with Irish singer Maggie Reilly.

Just heed that distinctive guitar echo her voice.........pure magic

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-03-2018, 09:47 AM

No.389: "Gasoline Alley" by Rod Stewart (1970)

More classic Rod but not the last one yet, Gasoline Alley featured most of The Faces on this album just as they were in formation (see personnel list below) and sealed his place as a highly-ranked performer after years of churning out the old soul songs.

• Rod Stewart – main performer, producer, vocals, guitar on "Jo's Lament"
• Martin Quittenton – classical guitar
• Ronnie Wood – guitar, bottleneck guitar, acoustic guitar, bass
• Ronnie Lane – bass on "My Way Of Giving" and "You're My Girl", vocals on "My Way Of Giving"
• Ian McLagan – piano, organ (the credit list notes: "Mac not available due to bus strike". However, the US release credits him, suggesting he was dubbed later)[6]
• William Gaff – whistle
• Dennis O'Flynn – violin bass
• Dick Powell – violin
• Stanley Matthews – mandolin
• Mick Waller – drums
• Kenney Jones – drums on "My Way Of Giving" and "You're My Girl"
• Pete Sears – piano on "Country Comfort"
• Jack Reynolds – backing vocals on "Country Comfort"
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:54 AM

I think the 1980 gig was his second i went too see when he used the percussion players from Gong another amazing gig, and i was trying to think of that article and read the same.

I lived in hope that my favourite guitar player, Manuel Gottersching would achive his project of them both playing together.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Floydy you could stop right here whilst I wax lyrical on the God of music Mike Oldfield.

His collaboration with artist was/is unique especially with Irish singer Maggie Reilly.

Just heed that distinctive guitar echo her voice.........pure magic
I like that, solo. I'm sure I've heard it before somewhere.
I looked up the guitarist on that song just now and was pleasantly surprised that it's Tim Renwick who played lead with the Sutherland Brothers and in Al Stewart's band for many years. I know him of course from playing on Pink Floyd's tours in 1987 and 1995 on the two post-Waters releases.
Glad you posted that bud, thanks
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I think the 1980 gig was his second i went too see when he used the percussion players from Gong another amazing gig, and i was trying to think of that article and read the same.

I lived in hope that my favourite guitar player, Manuel Gottersching would achive his project of them both playing together.
Good stuff mate, always happy to digress a little when we can find info that takes us back to nostalgiaville

Loving all this interaction here by the way fellas. It's making this thread less of a chore for me with my banging headache lol.

Page 131 of 274 « First < 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 141 181 231 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top