Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 10:33 AM

Re: The Plans for the Pension.

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
And another thing Phil, most private pensions die with you, they don't transfer to your wife.
All your NI and contracted-in contributions also die with you!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
All your NI and contracted-in contributions also die with you!
Not quite true Phil, if your spouse has never paid in to the pot in her life, she will however receive part of your pension, and still have the benefits of NH etc.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2013, 02:24 PM

I've been pondering over this for a while now. I've had a letter regarding paying top up years for the state pension as I am apparently just shy of the 30 years required for today's pension. (Although I am going to query that as I think this is wrong.) But I am in the unfortunate age group that is marginally too young, so have had my pension age raised to 66 from 60. With the new pension, I will need to contribute for another five years to get the full pension, and I'm not sure if it is worth it. I will have an Irish pension at 66, and a small NHS pension, which I am already receiving and is my holiday fund. I have saved all my life and have a good nest-egg in ISAs and other savings. Healthwise, who knows what will happen, but my father died suddenly of heart disease at 65 and I could do the same.
Can't decide whether to top up or not.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top