Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:16 AM

You've Won ! Scams

Heard on the radio that the PO are going to train workers to spot the vulnerable receiving scam mail and to warn them.
Such mail as - you have won a huge financial prize, send us the administration fee to receive your award. These scams come from all over the world and if 'one' is responded to, the name is then passed on till you are flooded with them

I welcome this, just wish it had been done sooner ...........
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:24 AM

Re: You've Won ! Scams

They could just refuse to deliver it, I never understand why they bring so much rubbish when they know it's unwanted.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:32 AM

They deliver it because it earns them money !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
They deliver it because it earns them money !
I get very few real letters these days only junk mail.

When I was working in the front garden I met the postman on the path with a handful of spam mail and pointed to the green bin I said he might as well post it in there because that is where it will go.
He said he would lose his job if he did that, it must be posted through the letter box and it is the 'junk mail' which keeps the post office going. Without it we might be paying £2+ to have a letter delivered.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I get very few real letters these days only junk mail.

When I was working in the front garden I met the postman on the path with a handful of spam mail and pointed to the green bin I said he might as well post it in there because that is where it will go.
He said he would lose his job if he did that, it must be posted through the letter box and it is the 'junk mail' which keeps the post office going. Without it we might be paying £2+ to have a letter delivered.

Yes - that's the answer I was going to post, it would be great if they just didn't deliver the stuff
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-09-2015, 09:47 AM

The other thing that should be outlawed is companies passing on yer details
This just isn't right !
Tess
Midlothian Scotland UK
Tess is female  Tess has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:49 AM

Just saw a programme on BBC1 regarding this very thing! If you respond positively just once you are put on a suckers list and the list is passed amongst the scammers.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-09-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tess ->
Just saw a programme on BBC1 regarding this very thing! If you respond positively just once you are put on a suckers list and the list is passed amongst the scammers.
That's right - same with charities, give to one and they all come calling - just not right !
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 10:11 AM

Speaking as an ex postman.
Royal Mail are obligated to deliver the post to every house in the UK six days a week. They can not decide what mail to post, if it has an address on the envelope, then it will be posted to that address regardless of what the postman or Royal Mail thinks.

Yes, 'door to doors' as they are called are a pain in the postbag to both postmen and recipients, but without them - as a previous poster said - the Royal Mail would be in dire straits. A lot of money is made off the back of them.

There were a couple of houses I used to deliver to that had astounding amounts of mail from all over the world, they were both elderly ladies and I suspect had fallen into the trap that is suggested by this thread. At the time I could do nothing, I was obligated to deliver the post, but I understand that now, if you are a victim of this postal harassment talk to the postman and he can arrange for your post to be sorted and all the spam mail returned to sender or ejected before delivery.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 10:18 AM

Its horrendous how these places scam vulnerable people..I used to work as a support worker visiting elderly people and it would amaze me how many of them genuinely thought they had "won" something when they read their scam mail,I would always explain to them that the mail was a scam and not genuine and to bin it but some really needed some explaining to make them realise.
I shudder to think how many vulnerable there are out there being preyed upon nowadays.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top