Join for free
Page 109 of 370 « First < 9 59 99 107 108 109 110 111 119 159 209 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 07:55 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Couldn't sleep so up early...boo!!!

On the subject of flexibility yes I believe I'm far far more flexible than I was decades ago. My second son has mobility problems and I carried him on my right hip for years, consequently when I eventually got around to seeing a chiropractor regularly I could only bend forward a little way and touching my toes was only in my dreams! I would have to put my hands onto my knees and carefully 'walk' them slowly down to my feet.

Nowadays I can sit on the floor, legs wide, and lean forward and kiss my knees!!
But my left side is more flexible than my right, as my right hip was mended ten years ago and has three pins holding it together. Why do they insist on calling them pins, they're bloody great screws!!
On the x-ray you can see the threads!!

I do believe that flexibility is possibly more important than muscle strength as you age, though of course both are necessary for safe movement.

Forgot to mention two 'fun' exercises I learnt at a Mencap meeting (of all places!)...first one is to simply stand on one leg, see how long you can balance. Ideally close you eyes for a few seconds, I find this almost impossible! Now how is it that my right side is more strong and stable? I can only think it's because of all the rehabilitation exercises did after my hip broke!
The second exercise is to rise up from sitting on a chair, the lower the chair/ stool the better, so no cheating with a high kitchen bar seat!
Rise up and down as many times as you can in 30 seconds. Try it!

Time for another cuppa, man it's cold today!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 12:28 PM

Sorry guys not enough time to give a report on this mornings frosty eight miler the justice it requires because I've been enlisted to drive my daughter and her lover (soon to be her husband..) to Ilkley, about fifty or so miles as the crow flies. She's rubbish at navigating.....

You had my Heart racing there Ruthio when you described sitting on the ground with your legs apart and kissing.......? That is so flexible, but at the risk of dragging this topic down to the pits that most threads end up on the forum I will go out and check my tyres for the journey ahead....

And Surfermom......Behave yourself....there are PM's for that.....
Seriously though, data to follow shortly.
I did end up having a decent enough run this morning but on the last half mile I did experience an annoying little twinge radiating from my left groin.....I've administered a small dose of Ibuprofen, and I'll keep an eye on it....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
With exercise we use the word "positivity", Mups, and it's definitely clear that you're not a quitter. You will not give in to anything you can't make yourself do and that is excellent. It means you have a far better chance of keeping yourself relatively fit and healthy into post-middle age (nicely put eh?).

A great, painless exercise to do when you get out of bed in the morning is stand facing a wall with your toes touching the skirting board and reach up with your fingertips as far as you possibly can and hold it there for a few seconds. Then move your hands down but make sure you do this slowly in case you pull a muscle. Repeat this about five times.
It should make you feel slightly more mobile as you continue waking up.

Thanks very much Floydy, I shall give that a go.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 04:12 PM

Wow! This thread is really getting some speed to it now. New (or returning) members Ruthio, Swims and Mups are keeping the flag flying and opening things up in here for new conversation about different forms of exercise too, and that can only be a good thing.
Ruthio, keeping yourself flexible is the best way to ward off any major ligament injuries. I should do more stretching exercises myself as it's always been part of my downfall and why I end up creaking so much I think!

I like that little recipe Surfermom, with the bananas and almonds. I'm not one for baking or experimenting at all but I'll mention it to Mrs. Floydysaurus and maybe she will make me some. They sound delicious - and healthy too! Thanks

Bob - Hope the drive went okay bud, great to hear that you still managed an early run today too. That's dedication for you

As for myself and as you know time is short during the week for me but I managed to fit in a brief workout this afternoon which keeps the joints in a moderately moist state of lubrication…

Tuesday, 6 Feb 18
DB press, incline bench:
10x22, 8x24, 6x26, 612x20, 12x20

Tricep extensions:
20x40, 12x50, 10x60, 20x35

E-Z bar preacher curl, low pull, close grip:
25x23 high reps

I didn’t feel very strong today for some reason and I’m not even going to note my time today as it’s embarrassing and I didn’t really feel that much up to a session in the first place as I was busy all last night shifting cases of footwear around at work. No harm done though and I’ll be back smashing things around on Thursday.

Take care all
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 04:39 AM

Ruthio, you sound like such an awesome mom, transporting your little boy around at the cost of your own health.

What I like about that story, and is a very important lesson, is that, in a way, you defied gravity! While we tend to get less flexible with age, you became more flexible with determination. I do love that reaching stretch...it feels so good back to hip to hamstrings. Just ignore OGF and leave him to putting air in his tires .

Floydy, that was a nice go today! I do triceps every day that I do step aerobics because triceps are critical to surfing. Have fun slinging iron on Thursday.

OGF, nice job on the eight. I managed five in the oak trails. They have installed a boardwalk and viewing area along the 40 ft. high point but I didn't dare stop to take in the vista for fear of blowing my pace. If I can do an 8:30 for the 10k I'll be happy enough. The last half mile I went all out and was sucking all of the air in north Florida, but my recovery was super fast. The tiger did not catch me to today.

I am too much of a romantic to let it slide; how lovely it is to hear that your daughter is getting married! I am sure that the groom to be is a very fortunate man. Do they have a date? Is Mrs. Fox excited? Anyway, I hope you all made an adenture of it today.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 05:03 AM

Hi

Three years ago, I could bend over and put both palms on the floor.

After my OP, I could not touch my knees.

I can now touch my toes and lay my first knuckle on the floor.

I have given myself until Easter to get my palm on the floor.

Yesterday I broke a half inch piece of pine with a punch, I am aiming for an inch by Easter.

It is a fact of life that I will never get back at my age to punching through a 4 by 2.

Such is life.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 05:18 AM

I think we all wish we were as fit and agile as Bob is in his seventies. That's pure inspiration to us all.

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, that was a nice go today! I do triceps every day that I do step aerobics because triceps are critical to surfing. Have fun slinging iron on Thursday.
It's just that rest period that goes against the grain with me, Surfermom. It's rather strange that I can thrash myself silly at the gym with a monster workout, feel nothing the next day but 2-3 days later my limbs are shattered and weak. No matter, the rest does me good and I can always catch up again the following weekend - although that isn't an ideal focal point, just training at the weekend; I become lazy!

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Three years ago, I could bend over and put both palms on the floor.

After my OP, I could not touch my knees.

I can now touch my toes and lay my first knuckle on the floor.

I have given myself until Easter to get my palm on the floor.

Yesterday I broke a half inch piece of pine with a punch, I am aiming for an inch by Easter.

It is a fact of life that I will never get back at my age to punching through a 4 by 2.

Such is life.
You'll get there sooner than you know, Swims. As I said yesterday on here, it's all to do with goals and keeping that motivation going, and you appear to have both. Good luck
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 05:25 AM

Swimfeeders, you are really coming along with your recovery with such substantial improvements. Would you talk more about your board work? How do you do this without injuring your hand? Do you have to have someone hold the board?

Floydy, that is really surprising that you have the delay in feeling the results of your lifting. I can only relate that to my running. If I have an unusually strenuous run, I usually run will the next day, but the day after that is usually the worst day of the three. I wonder why that is?

Oh, and Floydy, you are going to catch some heat as our favorite long distance man is only in his sixties . Unfortunately, you can't outrun OGF so you will surely have to face him . Actually, I know Bob well enough that it will roll off his back like rain on a duck .

The other night, Floydy mentioned Body Mass Indexes. I can't agree with you more that neither weight nor BMI measures are all that helpful to athletes. When I was at my most fit, I weighed more than I do now, which in turn yielded higher BMI. I suppose measurements in combination with weight are a better indicator. I know that some people use caliper readings, but that is too labor intensive to do regularly, so I have found that a long-owned pair of jeans tell the truth better than anything!

Today was a rare off day for me. I became toally engrossed in a new oil painting, and between the good music playing through the house and a nice steady rain, when I finally looked up to check the time, it was 5 PM. Scrambling to dress for the occasion, I grabbed the keys and made my way across town to the nearest trailhead.

This time of year, migrating starlings fill the skies here by the thousands. About an hour before sunset, they gather in the trees beckon one another with an incredible din before falling silent and flying away in unison to sleep in the protection of the surrounding marshes. When I arrived to find that they were already chirping symphonically, I knew it was officially speedwork day.

In half mile increments I sprinted, slowed to my normal pace and then back to the sprints for another half mile. Unfortunately, I was having too much fun, and without realizing, the starlings had left, the sun was setting, and I was stupidly running in the unlit forest. While I am not easily frightened, apparently I had left my good sense in my coat pocket, leaving me with no other choice but to bear down and run like the wind. By the time I returned to the car, I had run only 3.5 miles, but I had done so at my best pace in two years. Maybe I wasn't such a bad day after all!

Note to self: The clock, starlings, and setting sun are all good indicators that it will, in fact, get dark. Pay attention
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:34 PM

A very interesting and well written entry Surfermom, as usual. Thanks for the 'Heads up' on my sixty seven years of age, but as you rightly say, what's a few years between friends...
I agree, there are many signs in nature suggesting the time of day, and regular visitors to the great outdoors will no doubt have recognised them all at some point, especially the Starlings....I wonder if some of them might be the same ones from the blighty?

I might have been a little bit cavalier about the slight twinge in my right buttock following Tuesdays eight miler. During the last few hundred metres of the run, as I reached for a high kerb with my right leg, I was struck by a debilitating shock of pain that shook my whole body.
I staggered momentarily and was unable to bear any weight on that side. Momentum still carried me forward and gradually the pain subsided and I was able to complete my run at a much reduced pace.

Mrs Fox has been carrying a mother of a cold around for the last couple of days, and by Tuesday afternoon I was been overcome by the same virus (or whatever) probably a result of the run, but the 70 mile drive to Ilkley was still most enjoyable, and despite my ever diminishing energy levels I managed to survive. Wednesday turned out to be my worst day, with aching all over my body, and muscles objecting to the slightest activity, I decided to fight another day and not run this morning.

With pain radiating from my buttock (probably the damaged Piriformis) every time I put some weight on the affected leg, I might be out of action for a while, even when the cold has done with me. I hate to moan about my situation but it will explain my lack of running reports until I can muster this failing body of mine back into shape.....Old Age Sucks! Although this problem has thwarted me on and off for the last forty years....There are worse things in life though....

Happier times ahead though, and I'm looking forward to August the fourth this year when I shall walk down the aisle of the village church and give my daughter away, and gain a son in law.
Quite a fit bloke, but he doesn't run......We'll see about that....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:53 PM

Sorry to hear you're poorly Foxy, get some VitC+zinc fizzies and take 2 or 3 a day for now, they really help.

http://www.boots.com/boots-vitamin-c...blets-10149616

This morning I joined the local walking group over on The Common and we walked three miles, so I'm pleased about that

This afternoon I intend to reward myself and collapse in the cinema to see The Post

Page 109 of 370 « First < 9 59 99 107 108 109 110 111 119 159 209 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top