Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 11:37 AM

Fame at last.

I actually got a letter published in Radio Times. Yes, I'm one of those sad people who jumps up and down when I spot a obvious continuity error.

I was keen to see 'Stonemouth' because it was filmed in various locations a few miles from here. Many scenes were cleverly constructed from shots of different locations, but the greatest bit of artistic license was to re-locate the Forth road bridge to the west of Banff, approximately to the village of Whitehills.

Clever old BBC.

If you did watch it, the church scenes were shot at the Doune church in MacDuff. The church clock famously only has 3 faces , allegedly so that the residents of the neighbouring town of Banff can't see time. This is a mythical addition to a true historical event that took place in 1700.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 11:40 AM

Re: Fame at last.

My Brother's the same, he spotted a mistake a few months ago, when they was an article on Astronomy.. He went bonker's!!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 11:45 AM

Must admit to having a laugh at some of the programmes shot here in the North East, any visitor could easily be confused by some of the locations and how far they are apart. Must admit to searching historical dramas for modern items
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 11:54 AM

What annoys me is when both commentators in documentaries, and characters in dramas refer to 'Lake Windermere' , 'Lake Coniston', and so on.
With one exception, the lakes The Lake District are waters or meres

I put it down to the general arrogance and sloppiness of (usually) London based production companies. does no-one do the TV equivalent of proof reading?
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 12:37 PM

I'm with you on that one Zuludog. I used to spend some very good times round Windermere, Derwent water and Bassenthwaite LAKE.

I still haven't figured out where the station scenes were shot - possibly Insch, though some scenes were shot on the West coast.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=Grumblewagon;668722]......Bassenthwaite LAKE.

Yes, that's the exception, and you've got it the right way round
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 02:56 PM

I know quite a few re-enactors, they're very hot on spotting inaccuracies, even down to buttons and petticoats!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I put it down to the general arrogance and sloppiness of (usually) London based production companies. does no-one do the TV equivalent of proof reading?
My first job @ 16 was a messenger boy at the Evening Standard in Shoe Lane and back then the Readers Department was the proof-reading department and they were so eagle-eyed it was unbelievable.

The Daily Express too had their own as did all the newspapers, TV etcetera back then and it was quite a feather in your cap if you spotted a missed error before it went to print.
I did one day as there was an error in a story about Enfield and at the time I lived there.

I spotted it and told the Proof Readers.

Next thing I know was I get told the News Editor want a word.

Nervously I went down one floor, walked towards the News Desk and two journalists started clapping, then they all did.

The journalist who made the error thanked me then the News Editor as Sir Max Aitken was a terror with things like that.
I walked away blushing profusely but not long after that I got made-up to Junior Picture Librarian. stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2015, 06:45 PM

Well done Grumble

My partner had a very high powered job in the public sector and when he watches crime series he always notices so many discrepancies. I can love the programme but he brings them down to earth with a bump!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top