Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 11:03 PM

Re: Petrol or diesel car choice???

Although diesels have low co2 emissions, they emit high levels of n0x which have been linked to respitory problems and are thought to cause some cancers, if you do a lot of high mileages ( above 10000) a year, then a diesel makes sense, otherwise, petrol is the best bet, a diesel car that does regular short trips give problems with the dpf not being able to regenerate, ie burn off the build up of soot on the diesel particulate filter, and in some cases the dpf has to be replaced, ( at a cost of 1000 pounds or more) there are some manufactures that are no longer producing diesel cars, instead opting for electric or petrol/electric cars, the days of the diesel car are numbered
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Although diesels have low co2 emissions, they emit high levels of n0x which have been linked to respitory problems and are thought to cause some cancers, if you do a lot of high mileages ( above 10000) a year, then a diesel makes sense, otherwise, petrol is the best bet, a diesel car that does regular short trips give problems with the dpf not being able to regenerate, ie burn off the build up of soot on the diesel particulate filter, and in some cases the dpf has to be replaced, ( at a cost of 1000 pounds or more) there are some manufactures that are no longer producing diesel cars, instead opting for electric or petrol/electric cars, the days of the diesel car are numbered
Thank you.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 11:23 PM

I've had a diesel car for the past 14 years. Although it looks a shed, it drives really well and is (touch wood) very reliable.

It has the distinct advantage of being too early a model for DPFs or cats, so there is little to go wrong as others have said. Then, of course, there is the advantage of high mpg figures.

If things had remained as they were when this car was made, I'd be buying another diesel. The trouble is, of course, that the powers that be keep bringing in new regulations (as the prophets of doom keep predicting new forthcoming end of the world scenarios).

I have a friend who has recently bought a Ford diesel. I didn't get the model or spec. other than it is a 1.6 litre and qualifies for NIL road tax, though. And I thought all diesels were charged at ever increasing rates!

So before I get a new second-hand car, I need to do some research about all the possible charges and penalties for diesel cars, so it may prove necessary to go for petrol. Who knows?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 11:44 PM

I am not fussed either way, my Isuzu 3 litre turbo diesel seems OK for me, it certainly doesn't race away from lights but it can tow 3.5 tonnes. My youngest son's Holden ute has a 3.6 litre petrol engine and it does race away from the lights (if you want it to) it suits him but his older brother complains bitterly about his Nissan Dualis being terribly underpowered as it only has a standard 2 litre petrol engine.

The youngest one is single and the ute suits his life style his brother, the one with a the Dualis needs a family car.

My daughter just changed her Mitsubishi Lancer (2.4litre petrol) for a Ford with a 2 litre turbo petrol which is a much bigger car but quite economic to run. These turbos do make a big difference don't they?

Fuel economy is only part of the picture, it is no good buying a car that can't maintain its speed up a hill for example.

Depends what you want to use it for, horses for courses isn't it?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 12:04 AM

a diesel car that does regular short trips give problems with the dpf not being able to regenerate, ie burn off the build up of soot on the diesel particulate filter, and in some cases the dpf has to be replaced, ( at a cost of 1000 pounds or more)
Just take the car for a run along the expressway for half an hour, visit somewhere nice, then burn back home. Repeat every 6 months and the DPF will be fine, it shouldn't be a problem for even the most city bound diesel then.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 12:26 AM

I believe there was something in the paper the other day about the government thinking of ways to entice diesel owners to go petrol in future.

I didn't read it all, but wondered if anyone else knew why?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 01:06 AM

On balance, I'd go petrol.

Sure, diesels have their place such as hgv's / commercial vehicles etc, as the low down torque is necessary to pull the loads. But not so essential on a car.

Reliability: Purely down to maintenance. One guy a while back clocked 550,000 miles (same engine) on a 2.3 (petrol) 4 cylinder Volvo 240 Estate. Regular servicing & oil changes are everything. Using the correct (and not cheap) oil makes a huge difference.

Diesels are generally more costly on repairs due to the high compression engine and high pressure fuel pumps.

Mpg on petrol cars are getting much better. Manufacturers are now starting to use lower cc engines, but add a turbo to get the power back.

My 2p anyway......
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Just take the car for a run along the expressway for half an hour, visit somewhere nice, then burn back home. Repeat every 6 months and the DPF will be fine, it shouldn't be a problem for even the most city bound diesel then.
Dunno Bruce.
More like every 3 months and you'd need to give it a damn good hoon and be keeping it near the red. The dpf's don't regenerate that easily tbh and can get screwed at a high cost to replace.
A nuisance as well. On some vehicles the ecu will go into limp mode if the dpf is getting clogged up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Dunno Bruce.
More like every 3 months and you'd need to give it a damn good hoon and be keeping it near the red. The dpf's don't regenerate that easily tbh and can get screwed at a high cost to replace.
A nuisance as well. On some vehicles the ecu will go into limp mode if the dpf is getting clogged up.
A shame that we can't just remove DPFs. I bet some people do!

I don't have one, of course, so I'm OK!
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2017, 01:28 PM

I've only had one car that was diesel, too noisy and to be honest I didn't notice much different in it economically.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top