Join for free
Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Re: Missile Strikes launched against Syria tonight

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Attempting to take the 'moral high ground' on the use of chemical weapons is fine, providing the UK hasn't used chemical weapons itself.

Oh but we did, and not only that we did bomb the Syrians with chemical weapons. Seems our 'moral high ground' has crumbled away underneath us!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/sh...emical-weapons
The chemical weapons used were in retaliation for the use of mustard gas on the British trenches by the Germans. My great-grandad was a victim of such an attack and suffered respiratory problems from it for the rest of his life.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The chemical weapons used were in retaliation for the use of mustard gas on the British trenches by the Germans. My great-grandad was a victim of such an attack and suffered respiratory problems from it for the rest of his life.
I'm always appalled at what they did but in my world two wrongs don't make a right, although I understand the need to stop it happening and at the time I doubt they had a better way. Sad your great grandad was involved in that some brave men never knew what was coming to them.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm always appalled at what they did but in my world two wrongs don't make a right, although I understand the need to stop it happening and at the time I doubt they had a better way. Sad your great grandad was involved in that some brave men never knew what was coming to them.
Do you not understand that that is why we attacked Syria? We tried to damage where they make these chemicals and store them, with minimum damage to citizens With Russia's help, Syria are likely to continue using them on people in their own country & maybe further afield and, if they do, Russia are likely to deny all knowledge of it....as they always do!

Chemical warfare can seriously harm & kill many people, at a relatively low cost. If Syria succeed, it won't be long before other middle eastern countries will start using them, to settle differences, and many more innocent people will suffer.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Do you not understand that that is why we attacked Syria? We tried to damage where they make these chemicals and store them, with minimum damage to citizens With Russia's help, Syria are likely to continue using them on people in their own country & maybe further afield and, if they do, Russia are likely to deny all knowledge of it....as they always do!

Chemical warfare can seriously harm & kill many people, at a relatively low cost. If Syria succeed, it won't be long before other middle eastern countries will start using them, to settle differences, and many more innocent people will suffer.
Sorry twink I don't think that was really the reason at all, domestic politics, a proxy war, many reasons that don't make it right thing to do.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Well said.

Joe seems unable to understand that a hundred years ago, when chemical weapons were used on the battlefield, we reciprocated simply because of the need to fight fire with fire.

The consequences were so horrible that even by the second world war a little over twenty years later, although there was still the threat of the use of chemical weapons and gas masks were issued to all for that reason, chemical weapons were not used by either side.

Even today there is the threat of chemical weapons, as we have all seen in the Middle East. What has been invented cannot be uninvented.

This is precisely why Porton Down still conducts research into the subject. Joe seems to think that we are manufacturing and stockpiling chemical weapons there, but of course he is so biased against this country he will say anything even without any evidence to substantiate his accusations.

I'm surprised he hasn't gone to live in Russia, but then I suppose Russia wouldn't be so generous with social support.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sorry twink I don't think that was really the reason at all, domestic politics, a proxy war, many reasons that don't make it right thing to do.
Well you can call the leaders of the USA, UK and France liars, if you want..... but I wouldn't unless you have hard proof otherwise! Many other countries in the world support their action!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 02:10 PM

Hi

Porton Down has two distinct functions.

One is to do research into how to best protect our Troops,which is the least we can do.

They put themselves at risk to protect us, they should have the best protection possible.

The second aspect of Porton Down is to find ways of protecting the general public against the effects of any such attack taking place here in the UK.

This is why the headquarters of Public Health England are sited there, the other side of the fence.

Public Health England are responsible for Civil Protection.

It is they who develop the decontamination procedures for the Public.

The UK does not create and maintain stockpiles of Chemical Weapons.

We hold tiny quantities of Chemical and Bacteriological samples to develop antidotes and protection against them.

This is just basic commonsense.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Porton Down has two distinct functions.

One is to do research into how to best protect our Troops,which is the least we can do.

They put themselves at risk to protect us, they should have the best protection possible.

The second aspect of Porton Down is to find ways of protecting the general public against the effects of any such attack taking place here in the UK.

This is why the headquarters of Public Health England are sited there, the other side of the fence.

Public Health England are responsible for Civil Protection.

It is they who develop the decontamination procedures for the Public.

The UK does not create and maintain stockpiles of Chemical Weapons.

We hold tiny quantities of Chemical and Bacteriological samples to develop antidotes and protection against them.

This is just basic commonsense.
As I have said in at least two previous posts!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 12:45 AM

Reports coming in tonight of Israel sending war planes and missiles into Syria from Lebanon.
WTF do they think they're up to ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well said.

Joe seems unable to understand that a hundred years ago, when chemical weapons were used on the battlefield, we reciprocated simply because of the need to fight fire with fire.

The consequences were so horrible that even by the second world war a little over twenty years later, although there was still the threat of the use of chemical weapons and gas masks were issued to all for that reason, chemical weapons were not used by either side.

Even today there is the threat of chemical weapons, as we have all seen in the Middle East. What has been invented cannot be uninvented.

This is precisely why Porton Down still conducts research into the subject. Joe seems to think that we are manufacturing and stockpiling chemical weapons there, but of course he is so biased against this country he will say anything even without any evidence to substantiate his accusations.

I'm surprised he hasn't gone to live in Russia, but then I suppose Russia wouldn't be so generous with social support.

Do please tell, what war were we fighting in 1923 - Hmmm???

Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top