Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 09:09 PM

Anxiety

I am still having trouble with my breathing,every time I do anything [ washing /dressing /walking etc] I get short of breath. Ive had several different medical carerers visit me,some say COPD,others say EMPHESEMA, I dread every night in case I cant breathe and will have to call an ambulance,there is no way I want to go back to hospital again . I also have pains in my legs due to water retention which makes it worse.I just take a couple of pain killers before getting ready for bed and hope for the best. I know anxiety is making it worse so I try to be calm
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 09:15 PM

Re: Anxiety

My sister is like you, she's on her own and always out of breath. She was also told it was due to this or that, turned out one of her heart valves wasn't working. She has to get a procedure done to put things right and her breathing should return to normal. Was just wondering if you have been tested for heart valve or arteries clogging?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I am still having trouble with my breathing,every time I do anything [ washing /dressing /walking etc] I get short of breath. Ive had several different medical carerers visit me,some say COPD,others say EMPHESEMA, I dread every night in case I cant breathe and will have to call an ambulance,there is no way I want to go back to hospital again . I also have pains in my legs due to water retention which makes it worse.I just take a couple of pain killers before getting ready for bed and hope for the best. I know anxiety is making it worse so I try to be calm
It is very frightening when we struggle to breathe. Are you able to do deep breathing exercises? Yoga is meant to be very helpful too in helping to relax. Anxiety certainly does make things worse but sometimes it must feel like its a vicious circle.

Do you have a bad heart Deylon?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 09:29 PM

some say COPD,others say EMPHESEMA
Some useful info here on things you can do to help with your condition:

https://draxe.com/copd-symptoms/

"A healthy diet can help manage and improve COPD symptoms. Some foods in particular should be mainstays when it comes to an anti-COPD diet while others should be majorly or entirely avoided. Your diet should definitely have plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits to ensure you’re getting lots of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Citrus fruits are especially helpful because they contain quercetin. Wild-caught fish, flaxseeds and chia seeds, along with other omega-3 foods, can provide anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids.

If you’re suffering with COPD symptoms, you definitely want to steer clear of conventional dairy since pasteurized dairy is mucus-producing and can plug the airways in the lungs. You always want to stay away from processed, canned and frozen foods and sugar as well. Additives, preservatives and food dyes are also known for contributing to breathing issues and even asthma attacks. (5)"

Also increase water intake.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 09:42 PM

Deylon

You have to understand that COPD is a catch all

Emphysema comes under the heading of COPD

COPD means Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ( basically anything to do with the lungs)

This time of year, anyone with COPD ( from whatever primary diagnoses ) is struggling, even those with just hay fever

So first, and the hardest, is to accept that this is what you have, no matter who calls it what

For nighttime ( which I too struggle with) is, open up the airways, Open the window and bedroom door and get a breeze through

Prop yourself up. I use feather and down pillows as Ive no allergies there, and I love how I can hold the pillows around me I can use up to six pillows, mostly if Im really struggling I get up and prop myself up on the sofa. Loads of cushions and pillows keeping me propped up and comfortable so I sleep

If you aren't on fusimide for the water retention, and even if you are, prop your ankles up

Believe me, it all sounds like a flaff, but loads of cushions and pillows that you can mould around you so you can sleep propped up really helps with the stress levels.. You do get to sleep, even if at first its not for too long. The more you sleep, the more rested and the more relaxed you become

I sleep much better on the sofa then I do in bed

Theres more then one of us out there that prefers to sleep sat upright
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 11:01 PM

I was diagnosed with COPD. I always have lots of pillows as the more upright I was the easier it was to sleep. I always find I sleep better lying on my left side rather than my right but never ever sleep on my back. Although I used to love drinking cold semi skimmed milk I avoid it as much as possible these days. I always avoid people with colds etc as a cold to me means three weeks stuck on a sofa with a chest infection unable to breath or get about.
I take a Simbicort Inhalor which I have been told is best for COPD and also Elkira Genuair inhaler for long term relief plus have ventolin inhalor for instant relief. I also had a nebuliser at home to use with salbutamol if things were really bad. I am also taking prescribed carbocistine capsules which help to break up mucus on my chest. I take them all year round.
If I go out when its very cold I always dress in layers to keep me warm and wear a scarf over my mouth so I am not breathing cold air into my lungs.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 11:08 PM

Deylon I'm so sorry you're having these problems.

Agree with Missy, don't sleep lying flat, propped up is better.

A friend of my sister's had similar breathlessness and fatigue plus COPD and was eventually (after ages and multiple tests) diagnosed with something called Sarcoidosis, but I think this is quite rare...but still worth mentioning to your lung consultant.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 06:44 PM

Isnt it strange I have been told that Salbutamol inhalers are better than Symbicor.As I mentioned before I spend my nights in my recliner chair,its as good as a bed, the back can go down flat & the footrest comes up level to the chair. but every time I tell this to the medics they say I should be sleeping in a bed ,not this chair.
I was back in A&E todayagain,not felt well over w/end & very S.O.B this morning with sore throat & cough,rang Drs surgery ,told nurse would ring back,I rang another Dr from a different medical team & she said I sounded very wheezy & ring 999.I didnt want to go to hospital but paramedic said they cant treat me at home ,but in hospital can do xray/b/test etc,so I agreed to go,had all tests .no major probs.just an' infection' 6 hours there then home
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 07:05 PM

It must be so tiresome for you to constantly have to go in to hospital for a few hours then back.

I would sleep in the recliner chair if it was the most comfortable way to sleep. Lying flat on a bed won't be the best thing for your breathing.

Hoping things work out better for you and sending you all the best.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 08:03 PM

Isnt it strange I have been told that Salbutamol inhalers are better than Symbicor.As I mentioned before I spend my nights in my recliner chair,its as good as a bed, the back can go down flat & the footrest comes up level to the chair. but every time I tell this to the medics they say I should be sleeping in a bed ,not this chair.
I was back in A&E todayagain,not felt well over w/end & very S.O.B this morning with sore throat & cough,rang Drs surgery ,told nurse would ring back,I rang another Dr from a different medical team & she said I sounded very wheezy & ring 999.I didnt want to go to hospital but paramedic said they cant treat me at home ,but in hospital can do xray/b/test etc,so I agreed to go,had all tests .no major probs.just an' infection' 6 hours there then home
They tell you this because it is the norm and they want you to be the norm

However if sleeping in the recliner helps you sleep, you carry on doing so

My ( step) dad preferred sleeping in the recliner until we bought him one of those hight tech beds that you can arrange to your preferred sleeping position , but he still found that hard to get in and out of, where as his chair got him to a standing position

End of the day, you need to sleep and if sat in a reclined position with the aid of a chair does that for you, go for it

I know myself, who's relatively young and still works in a heavy job, find I sleep better propped on the sofa. Loved it when DH was working in London , slept really well cos there was no expectation to go to bed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top