Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 09:16 PM

Re: High Cost of Care Homes

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Im not going to say the the care homes aren't in it to make money

So lets say a care home with 40 residents

All needing round the clock care - three shifts of 8 hours with say 10 care workers on each shift

so thats 30 care workers wages a day, all above NMW plus unsociable hours etc

Then add the chefs and kitchen staff

Cleaners

Admin and clerical

Then a bus/ ambulance and driver

Accountant

And whatever else staff required

Then we have the building maintenance and insurance

We have the insurance of all staff and residents

We have gas, electric and water

We have food

We have entertainment

And probably a lot more added to that list that I cant think of

I cant imagine that running a care home is cheap

So that's 40 residents each paying £1,000 a week.
That's £40,000 per week to run the place and make a profit.
Can it be done?

Any accountants here?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 09:41 PM

I worked in a care home up until 6 months ago and it cost over £700 per week. Granted the residents were well looked after but I still couldn't justify the cost. Gone are the days of leaving our children legacys. Because of this we intend to sell our property when we retire and go into rented and enjoy what time we may have left with the proceeds of the house and give our son some money too to enjoy. The wrong attitude maybe? I don't know but it is wrong that we will have to sell our home to pay for our care when the government have had so much money out of us all our lives.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
So that's 40 residents each paying £1,000 a week.
That's £40,000 per week to run the place and make a profit.
Can it be done?

Any accountants here?
I'll not go into this too much, as (tbh) I can't be bothered...
The father of a good school friend of mine started a rest home. He retired with more than a million inside 10 years.
And yes, that's true. So, they do make a LOT of money in profit.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I worked in a care home up until 6 months ago and it cost over £700 per week. Granted the residents were well looked after but I still couldn't justify the cost. Gone are the days of leaving our children legacys. Because of this we intend to sell our property when we retire and go into rented and enjoy what time we may have left with the proceeds of the house and give our son some money too to enjoy. The wrong attitude maybe? I don't know but it is wrong that we will have to sell our home to pay for our care when the government have had so much money out of us all our lives.
I totally understand.
I've lost both my parents in the last 3 years. Their home was sold to pay the care home costs. We had zero inheritance. Not that we wanted / needed any tbh - just the principle really. We'll do the same as you one way or another.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Are you defending them Missy?
No

What I am saying is if you want any quality of care in your old age, be prepared to pay for it cos it aint cheap unless a family member steps up

Now on the other hand, you get the likes of me, who got the grand sum of £62 a week plus NI credits to care for step dad in my own home for the last four years of his life

for that I was on call 24/7. the only other help was a private care assistant who came in and bathed him once a week which he paid for

other then that if he shit the bed, it was me that cleaned him up and done the washing

Me that kept him company through the day

Me that drove him to hospital appointments/doctors/opticians/hearing aids etc

Me who fed and watered him

Called the ambulances and sat 10 hours with him in casualty when he took a turn

Now that was a family member and Im doing the same for my mother, only she doesn't get DLA so I get SFA
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 10:27 PM

Even " cheap immigrants " are entitled to £7.83p an hour, holiday and sick pay and pension

If I was caring for someone in a care home, id want a lot more then that
Carers in Switzerland are thoroughly trained and have to pass written and verbal exams.
They are highly respected and receive £i8.00 per hour..with ongoing training each year.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Carers in Switzerland are thoroughly trained and have to pass written and verbal exams.
They are highly respected and receive £i8.00 per hour..with ongoing training each year.

And in switzerland care homes are partially paid through private insurance with the residents having to cough up to 50% of costs, so care there can be from 4000 to 10000 a month (SF)

They too have to sell their homes to fund care and they too have to prove they didn't just give their money away to avoid paying, the extended family is also liable
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 12:18 AM

Im not going to say the the care homes aren't in it to make money

So lets say a care home with 40 residents

All needing round the clock care - three shifts of 8 hours with say 10 care workers on each shift

so thats 30 care workers wages a day, all above NMW plus unsociable hours etc

Then add the chefs and kitchen staff

Cleaners

Admin and clerical

Then a bus/ ambulance and driver

Accountant

And whatever else staff required

Then we have the building maintenance and insurance

We have the insurance of all staff and residents

We have gas, electric and water

We have food

We have entertainment

And probably a lot more added to that list that I cant think of

I cant imagine that running a care home is cheap

Actually Missy, I agree.

And may I also add to your list the domestics and laundry workers, who sometimes have to wash/clean some pretty unsavoury bedding and clothing!
The gardener, and the wages staff too.

Where I worked was a private place. They had beautiful gardens, even a small lake with swans on it.
This meant they also had to pay a gardener.
This chap also grew a lot of the fruit and veg for the kitchens too, and kept the grounds immaculate.

There was also Bingo, sing alongs, quizzes, and talks.
Visitors were welcomed any time, any day, and could come and have meals with their relatives too, if they let the kitchen know in advance.

They were good girls there, and it was a happy place.

Then one day, it was my own Mum's turn to need care.
I had been looking after her for seven years before she became unsafe on her own any more.

I used to take her shopping every week till she could no longer go, then I did it for her. I did her banking, sorted her medication, drove her to all her medical appointments, did her washing, and her garden - and loads more besides.

She eventually became seriously ill, she was dying.
I couldn't move her in with me as I hadn't got a spare room I could kit out.
Then she had a bad fall and I had to get her to hospital. They kept her there and wouldn't release her unless she had day and night care.
I had previously tried to arrange night care for her, but Mum refused to let the poor lady in!

It was a nightmare, I didn't have a spare room, and I couldn't move in with her either. She was desperate to get out of the hospital, but they wouldn't release her unless I sorted a care home.

Because of my previous work, I felt I knew what things to look for in finding her the right place to move into.
I visisted 3 places. Two of those I wouldn't let her go to.
The third one was a BUPA place.

The management were very good. The carers were lovely.
The meals were good and other residents were happy - I checked that. They had lots of entertainment, and a hairdresser came weekly, the doctor visited and also a chiropodist and even an optician.

They used to even let me take the dogs in to visit her, as she always loved animals and had lost her old dog
It was nearby, so easy for me to pop in to sit with her most days, and every Sunday I would stay and have dinner with her.
If it was warm, we would sit in the gardens and have a cup of tea and talk outside in the sunshine.

I can't remember the prices now, but it would have been worth it to know she was safe and cared for 24/7.
Much as I loved my Mum, I couldn't have done all that by myself.

Good places are worth their weight in gold, the bad ones - well, steer well clear.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 08:47 AM

I hope I don't live to be too old and not be able to look after myself and i know plans can go out the window but I live in a tiny 2 bed mid terrace , I shall buy a good sofa bed for the lounge and a cammode can go under the stairs , I don't intend living with my kids whatever happens .

My three friends and I laugh and say we should all sell up , buy a or rent a large 5 bed house and live together , pay a cleaner and cook and carers to come in . I know it's a fantasy but sometimes it sounds a brilliant idea
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I totally understand.
I've lost both my parents in the last 3 years. Their home was sold to pay the care home costs. We had zero inheritance. Not that we wanted / needed any tbh - just the principle really. We'll do the same as you one way or another.
The problem with that is you have to do it as soon as you think of it. None of us knows whats round the corner and if you leave it too late and then have to go into care it will be classed as Deprivation of Assets.

Thing is we dont know WHEN our health is going to deteriorate. I always imagined my Mum would stay at home and manage slowly by herself and coming to me at weekends which we had done for 10 years. After a series of falls she went downhill and needed more care than a daily carers visit.

I have a friend who now has dementia at 64, a friend with MS, two friends husbands with Parkinsons in their late 60s and its already looking like some of them need more care than they can get at home.

Ive just realised I’ve replied to Fender but its for Lion Queen too.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top