Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 12:49 PM

Insect bites

I don't half get some bad 'uns sometimes.

I've got another beauty at the moment on my inner arm just above me elbow. I just measured it and it's 3" x 4" across and growing.
Some little blighter got me in the garden last night just as it was getting dark. I felt it happen.

Does anyone else react badly to bites, and if so, what do you do about them?
I've just smothered it in my Aloe plant sap, and taken a Piriton, but it's not helping at all yet.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 12:57 PM

Re: Insect bites

Marge loves gardening, and the ants love her. She always comes in with a couple or more bites which always seem to make themselves known to her.

Funnily enough, ants never bother me, even if I should help Marge in the garden.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I've got another beauty at the moment on my inner arm just above me elbow. I just measured it and it's 3" x 4" across and growing.
Some little blighter got me in the garden last night just as it was getting dark. I felt it happen.

I've just smothered it in my Aloe plant sap, and taken a Piriton, but it's not helping at all yet.
Visit your pharmacy and ask for advice - they will probably recommend antihistamine cream.

Horsefly bites are the worst for me - I now use "Incognito" and that keeps them (and others) away:

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Thanks Omah.
Is that Incognito a repellent or an 'after-bite'?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:37 PM

Thanks Omah.
Is that Incognito a repellent or an 'after-bite'?
The picture is of the repellent (shields you from mosquitoes, midges, sandflies, horseflies, ticks and many more insects), but Incognito do a complete range of products:

https://lessmosquito.com/

They're DEET-free, non-greasy and smell (to my mind) nicely "earthy", i.e. natural.

Here's the complete range - I don't see any "after-bite":

https://lessmosquito.com/collections...ncognito-store
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:41 PM

Mups that sounds quite large for an insect bite, so please keep your eye on it & get some advice if it gets any worse.

One of my sisters had a bite like that and it became infected, so I had to take her to an emergency doctor to get it lanced, cleaned & some pills to take. It was a while ago so I can't remember if they were anti histamines or antibiotics!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:42 PM

Yes, I do horse flies are the worst, once out riding I rode Rupert through a flight path, he went nuts & I let him canter off up the road, not realising the buggers had got me in several places on the under side of both arms. The females are the biters & they are also silent fliers so you don't know they are there. I got back to the stables & sorted the horse, but I felt really ill by then so the lady in the house drove me to the surgery & I had to have injections. I really reacted badly to the bites, I had 7 on one arm & 6 on the other, they all joined up. Since then I am very careful & I know that bees would give me the same reaction, as would a lot of stinging biting insects. Even midges do to a lesser extent.
Now I no longer work with or ride horses, horse flies aren't a problem.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The picture is of the repellent (shields you from mosquitoes, midges, sandflies, horseflies, ticks and many more insects), but Incognito do a complete range of products:

https://lessmosquito.com/

They're DEET-free, non-greasy and smell (to my mind) nicely "earthy", i.e. natural.

Here's the complete range - I don't see any "after-bite":

https://lessmosquito.com/collections...ncognito-store
I see they sell them in Sainsburys, will have a look at them next time I go there.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
The females are the biters
Ah, ain't that always the case?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 02:17 PM

I'm plagued with insect bites, always react badly to them. I've one at the back of my knee that's still itching 4 weeks down the line

I always take an antihistamine a day and have a tube of antihistamine cream in work, in my car and at home. I also have one of those zapper things for bits but sometimes I still resort to the hot teaspoon

It's the ugly scars they leave , my arms are mottled with scars

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top