Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2018, 11:02 PM

patellar luxation

Poor Teddy has patellar luxation grade 2 to 3 and the vet has recommended he have an op. I had to carry him into the vets today, not because he can't walk but because he was lying on the pavement outside, shaking with fright and refusing to budge.

Anyway the vet did some sort of "dog whispering" thing, fed him treats and made him feel a lot better (that was after he tried to run out again).

It seems like an op that has a high success rate and it's a relief tbh because i was worried about cancer tumours and all sorts after he had lost his balance a few times recently and fallen off the sofa.

Has anyone experience of this op? How did it go and was your dog back to normal after?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2018, 11:45 PM

Re: patellar luxation

I know a little about the dislocating knees Annie.

Just very roughly, the knee cap runs in a groove, and for a variety of reasons it keeps slipping out of this groove.

I believe they grade the condition from 1 - 4, 4 being the worst.
It is also more common in smaller dogs usually, like Yorkies and similar sized dogs.

My Nellie, who is nearly 4 has this condition, but fortunately
she is only a Grade 1, so there is no need to operate.
I shall continue to monitor it.

What sort of dog is Teddy again, I believe you have said before, but I can't remember?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 12:42 AM

Re: patellar luxation

He's a yorkie-pomeranian cross, although you can't really see the yorkie at all. (except in his personality!). Poor thing is on anti inflammatories and looking a bit sorry for himself. he was licking the foot on that leg after he'd gone to bed for the night and just wants his tummy rubbed all the time.

They say it creeps up on you and it's not easy to spot because in grade one and two it clicks back into place and then it's all ok. I'm hoping there will be no probs with petplan as we have protection level two which the vet said should cover it. I'm going to ring them tomorrow.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top