Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 08:18 PM

Re: On growing old

At 81 I too feel like you bakerman,what is it all about I sometimes ask myself,I have asthma or copd the medics cant decide,my legs are swollen & painful I have to where support stockings but I have to keep going for my son's sake, he will have no one if anything happens to me & may have to move out of this house, but ,as I have said to my GP, the amount of money being spent on my treatment could be used for someone younger
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Fabulous idea. Bakerman needs a dog. A dog lives in the present moment and offer more than most are willing to give and do it happily with unconditional love. Plus it will make you have to walk daily which you should be doing anyway.

And we want pictures. Pictures of you and the dog not somebody else’s dog
Pictures are my dog............
Him being cautioned by the police...
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 08:44 PM

Very beautiful border collie also Besoeker!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Old age may not be a barrel of laughs but it beats the alternative hands down !

I'm with you 100% there Tabs.

I never understand people being bored, unless they are permanently bedridden or such.
I can't remember ever feeling bored in my life.

Bakerman, there a million and one things to do if you make an effort, and who knows, you might even make new friends and life will suddenly pick up again.
It isn't likely to just drop in your lap with no effort from you though.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm with you 100% there Tabs.

I never understand people being bored, unless they are permanently bedridden or such.
I can't remember ever feeling bored in my life.

Bakerman, there a million and one things to do if you make an effort, and who knows, you might even make new friends and life will suddenly pick up again.
It isn't likely to just drop in your lap with no effort from you though.
Between being profoundly deaf, and having a horrible bowel disease, I don't get to have contact with people very often.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:06 AM

Hi

A dog is a good idea, Boston Terriers are recommended for us oldies.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Between being profoundly deaf, and having a horrible bowel disease, I don't get to have contact with people very often.
Isolation will make you very depressed and therefore fatigued

You mention your deafness is a barrier, do you not have organisations for the deaf in your area? I would hunt them down and get in touch and see what they can offer

Chihuahua's may not seem to be the ideal dog for you but do think a bit more about them. If at 81 you are in pain and find days difficult, would a larger breed be suitable? At least a chihuahua is small enough that you could lift and carry it if need be ( Ive had to carry a cocker spaniel a mile once - really hard going and I was only in my 40s at the time)

Plus a smaller dog tends to attract more people who want to come say hello, something they may be wary about with a male and a larger dog

Just an idea
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Very beautiful border collie also Besoeker!
Thank you Bratti.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Ask your neighbours if you can take their dog out for walks, it will give you and the dog exercise, plus you meet a lot of other dog walkers that you can talk to.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Ask your neighbours if you can take their dog out for walks, it will give you and the dog exercise, plus you meet a lot of other dog walkers that you can talk to.
That's a good idea Susie

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top