Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 12:51 PM

Picnic at Hanging Rock - BBC

I have always loved Peter Weir's hauntingly beautiful and enigmatic "Picnic At Hanging Rock" so I thought I'd watch the new version, produced as a series of episodes, on BBC. The series had already been broadcast around the world and had received "rave" reviews.

Well, I was disappointed from the start .....

When "Miss Appleyard" lifts her veil to reveal her face, she seemed to be very young .....

When she moved and spoke, she did so with all of today's affectations and mannerisms .....

In fact, Natalie Dormer is 36 and best known for "Game of Thrones", a highly popular "fantasy" TV series notorious for violence, nudity and sex (usually all at once), which will appear later in "Hanging Rock" .....

When the "pupils" made their appearance, they all seemed far too old for their parts and not much younger than "Miss Appleyard" - Miranda, in fact seems the same age - this being a "modern" re-telling, Miranda, in a flimsy shift, performs the increasingly popular pee-in-a pot scene .....

When the "pupils" were dressed for inspection by "Miss Appleyard", I was struck again by how "modern" they looked, despite being fabulously (over)dressed in Victorian costumes .....

By this time, I decided that 6 hours of a "modern" retelling, with no expense spared to impress those who prefer style over substance, was not for me and clicked "OFF" .....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Re: Picnic at Hanging Rock - BBC

I watched last night , I've never heard of this so found it quite fascinating wondering what was going to happen next , obviously a lot has happened to miss appleyard and I can't wait till the next episode , it all seems to be very dark and secretive
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I watched last night , I've never heard of this so found it quite fascinating wondering what was going to happen next , obviously a lot has happened to miss appleyard and I can't wait till the next episode , it all seems to be very dark and secretive
If you watch the series then you won't like the 1975 film - it leaves much to the imagination and little resolved .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 03:34 PM

I have seen the original film, of course, so had something with which to compare this BBC series.

To be honest I thought it too slow, but I'll keep watching to see how it develops.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 04:23 PM

As is typical with these `re-imagined` types of programmes, the characters portrayed are either too modern in their approach (as as pointed out) and far too clean and tidy. When you next watch a serialised Charles Dickens novel for example, notice how clean and well groomed the street urchins are and all with immaculate teeth.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-07-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
As is typical with these `re-imagined` types of programmes, the characters portrayed are either too modern in their approach (as as pointed out) and far too clean and tidy. When you next watch a serialised Charles Dickens novel for example, notice how clean and well groomed the street urchins are and all with immaculate teeth.
Exactly .....

With the ladies (and some of the men), I notice anachronistic hair, eyebrows and lips .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-07-2018, 05:57 PM

For those who haven't seen the 1975 film, here is what the cast looked like:

Here's the new lot:

Note the "modern" triangular pose, also utilised for "War & Peace":

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
For those who haven't seen the 1975 film, here is what the cast looked like:

Yes. They look much more realistic.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2018, 10:56 PM

I've just caught up with episode one, and I must admit it did'nt grab me at all. As someone who saw the original movie, and liked it, this was strangely quite different in tone. I'm afraid I did'nt stick with it. However, her indoors loved it. Mind you being a Poldark fan, and all that similar stuff, one was'nt surprised! I always thought it was a true story, until the boss put me straight!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-07-2018, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
I've just caught up with episode one, and I must admit it did'nt grab me at all. As someone who saw the original movie, and liked it, this was strangely quite different in tone. I'm afraid I did'nt stick with it. However, her indoors loved it. Mind you being a Poldark fan, and all that similar stuff, one was'nt surprised! I always thought it was a true story, until the boss put me straight!!
I'm just watching the second episode and, half way through it isn't becoming any more exciting.

So, an hour and a half into the complete series and they have just called off the search for the missing girls.

Dreadfully slow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top