Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 11:26 AM

TV viewing sources

Let’s face it. TV viewing consists principally of repeats, cooking programmes or ‘real life’ I gave up ‘Sky’ several years ago because it was much the same!
Until recently I’ve relied on Freesat. Totally free including HD channels. Record/playback & pausing live programmes. But still, annoying repetitiveness!
Recently however, my daughter acquired a ‘Now TV’ box & at the same time I opened a ‘Netflix’ account. Both have a wealth of material to watch. ‘Now’ can be viewed independently on any TV in the house, as can ‘Netflix’ with the added bonus that it can also be viewed on a computer. Many’s the time I’ve been watching something then decided to retire for the night then automatically continued exactly where I left off, on the iPad in bed! The iPad Pro has incredible picture & sound quality. 4 speakers & off screen sound which sometime sounds as if it’s coming from outside my bedroom window!

Something well worth considering.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 12:44 PM

Re: TV viewing sources

Totally agree

Every few months months I sign up for the Netflix free trial, watch for the month , cancel, wait a couple of months and sign mr missy up, rinse and repeat

I also have Amazon Prime for £7.99 a month and that allows mum and mr missy free delivery as well as myself, access to books, music as well as box sets and films. The free content is very good and gets updated pretty regularly. For me it's worth it for the free music alone as I'm plugged into my earphones in work all day

There's very little terrestrial to watched in this house
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 02:57 PM

I, too, have not failed to notice just how many repeats there are these days, even on the professional channels. The amateur channels, of course, are almost entirely repeats of films and programmes they have bought cheaply from elsewhere.

Despite the obvious increase in advert breaks, the TV companies are either finding financial income is inadequate or else they are just being greedy. The BBC, of course, are not concerned as they have a guaranteed income from the taxpayer.

I can foresee a time when TV programmes will become too poor as to be not worth watching, and more people will opt to avoid live broadcasts and save themselves the cost of the TV tax.

They will more than likely make use of internet entertainment sites which, of course, are free and many of which do not rely on adverts.

How long, I wonder, before the government demands a licence for using the internet?!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 03:55 PM

I keep thinking of giving up Sky, I don't drink or smoke or do anything else much and I like Sky 1 some of the best programs on there, so I talk myself out of it amd settle for a bowl of gruel.
FridgeMagnet
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I keep thinking of giving up Sky, I don't drink or smoke or do anything else much and I like Sky 1 some of the best programs on there, so I talk myself out of it amd settle for a bowl of gruel.
You can get a lot of sky stuff on Now TV.

One important thing though. If you do cancel Sky. Make absolutely sure that they give you a cancellation code number. When I initially cancelled, the guy didn’t give me one. So when I rang them and asked why I was still getting the service and being charged for it. They said that they had no record of my cancellation notification.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 04:35 PM

Wouldn’t give house room to sky any more

Had it when step dad was alive as he being housebound needed to sport Channels to entertain him The rest of it was dire unless you added and added to the package. I think he was paying £70 a month 6 years ago and Mum always complained there was nowt on worth watching

Between freestat, freeview, catchup ( the channel 4 umberella has a lot of content ) and prime we always find something worth watching and as Mum is 80 we don’t pay for a licience
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
You can get a lot of sky stuff on Now TV.

One important thing though. If you do cancel Sky. Make absolutely sure that they give you a cancellation code number. When I initially cancelled, the guy didn’t give me one. So when I rang them and asked why I was still getting the service and being charged for it. They said that they had no record of my cancellation notification.
When I moved in March I could get Sky for nothing, I should have kept quiet and not subscribed, but I'm too honest
I don't know how long the contract is, I only have the cheapest package.
I will have to look into freeview, I think my tv came with it.
Mel15
Nowhere

17-07-2018, 05:40 PM

All TVs come with Freeview now and seeing as you have a sky dish you will also get freestat, there is a slight difference on programmes

If you cancel sky you just see the freestat channels via your sky box and freeview via the tv remote. The only thing you can not do is record. Some of my TVs have usb slots to record to but I have a humax box connected to my main tv so I can rewind/ pause etc same as sky
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2018, 05:59 PM

As a poor pensioner, I can't afford all these Sky things, and I certainly wouldn't pay to watch football!

I have only Freeview, and of the 100 or more channels available I don't watch any more than about half-a-dozen.
FridgeMagnet

17-07-2018, 06:14 PM

When I lived in London, my TV would tune into about 90 or so freeview channels. Up here in Scotland in would only find 35!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top