Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 06:14 PM

My Skimmia..

This is one of a pair I have each side the back door. They've grown like wildfire and now look too big for their pots.

Would it harm them to re-pot now or would it be best to do it in Autumn or next spring? Any advice would be much appreciated as I don't want to kill them off..

Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 09:08 PM

Re: My Skimmia..

Because it's pot grown it wouldn't hurt it to put into a bigger pot, it would encourage a better root system. It's a very healthy looking specimen Carol.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2015, 11:15 PM

Thanks Uff. That's all I wanted to know.
I shall go to B&Q on Wednesday when it's pensioner discount day and chose two nice new pots for them.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Uff ->
Because it's pot grown it wouldn't hurt it to put into a bigger pot, it would encourage a better root system. It's a very healthy looking specimen Carol.
I agree with Uff, although my two are still in the same pots they were first planted in!

We replant ours every so often though - last time was 3 years ago and we've had Skimmias since 1999.

I tidy up the roots, chuck away the old Ericaceous compost and replace it, give an acid feed and that's it.

Does your flower?

One of ours was originally Japonica Rubella, a male, and we have a named female that I can't remember the name of but the male died so we now have a variegated female and they both seem happy! stevmk2
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

09-06-2015, 10:31 AM

Hi Steve. Yes it's just finished shedding all it's old flowers.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top