Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Uncle Mo
Hitchin Hertfordshire UK
Uncle Mo is male  Uncle Mo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 10:39 AM

What do you miss? Shops, cafes, milkman, TV program etc etc.

Many things have gone. I'm a DIY maniac, I really miss our local Do It All, Focus store, no matter what I wanted, they had it, brilliant. Much better than B & Q, they moved away, so stuff them; Wickes is good, but most of their products are their own brand. I miss other things and will add them; lets see what you miss, anything, not only shops.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 10:46 AM

Re: What do you miss? Shops, cafes, milkman, TV program etc etc.

I miss my ex girlfriend lol - does that count?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 10:58 AM

I miss the milkman - that was such a handy service to have.

We have an old-fashoined hardware store that you would love Uncle Mo - if they don't have, then it isn't being made It might take them a while to rummage around and find it but they do in the end.

I miss the pleasant experience of flying - walking across the tarmac to the aircraft with your suitcase then waiting for it to be unloaded when you arrived; seats that didn't require you to be under 5tf tall to be comfortable - really miss that.

One strange one: not being able to slam the phone down in anger if I'm on the mobile instead; huffily pressing the off button just doesn't feel the same
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 11:13 AM

I miss good garden centres .... that sell plants ... most of the uk ones seem to sell any thing put nowadays .... expensive pots, books, toolsm seed and accessories for wild birds .... when all I want is 20 sweetcorn plants ....
I also miss peanut butter kitkats ... where have they gone ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 11:20 AM

C and A clothing stores, and proper second hand shops (not antique stores or charity shops).

Milkman (my husband was one for over 17 years loved that job and the demise of the milk round had a profound effect on us).
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 11:25 AM

I definitely miss Comet. It was the first place we went to buy any electrical goods. I'm after a new fridge and Currys was the only place to look at one and then they didn't have anything, or much stock, that we wanted.

Also miss Woolworths and C&A. I know C&A has been closed for years but I used to love rummaging around there. I bought lots of childrens clothes there when my sons were little.

Posted at the same time as Julie - snap with C&A.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 11:42 AM

I still have a Milkman living on a no-through-road which gets cut off when we have the tiniest amount of snow I am glad of the milkman who always gets through in his little lorry .

We have a B and Q but I seldom use it, there is never more than one person serving so there are usually long queues to pay. On the other side of the road is the independent 'Handyman House' with its fleet of knowledgeable and helpful people serving . They also deliver large things free locally (like long bits of wood) if you spend more than £12.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 12:45 PM

I miss the High Street ironmongers, you were almost guaranteed to find what you wanted there.

I also miss Woolworths, always enjoyed a wander round their stores ....especially Christmas times.

Mountstevens bakeries ....... loved their crusty cobs and delicious coffee and custard doughnuts ....mmmm!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Woolworths of years back.....
C & A .....
I like Matalan tho' ..
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 01:34 PM

The wife and me still buy most of our clothes in C&A. Fact is, it's a Dutch company and still thrives in most european countries. (The company was founded by brothers Clemens & August Brenninkmeijer in 1841) When we go abroad, we buy quite a lot in C&A.

Here in Scotland, I miss good (southern) English real ale and Morris dancing.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top