Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 10:59 AM

G.P. appointment waiting times

Are you seen promptly or do you sometimes have to wait?

I always have to wait, one time an hour and a half; but my G.P. has known me for 9 years and always spends about half an hour with me.

On occasions when I've had to see other G.P.s it's normally 10 minutes late at the most. I'm very lucky in living only a 5 minute walk from my surgery. 10 minutes since I became ill.

But I wouldn't change my doctor for anyone else; we have a real rapport and she notices if anything is off with me. She even walked to my house once during a blizzard with 2 bottles of liquid morphine.

I had to wait 'til 9:10 for an 8:30 appointment this morning and my only worry was catching something off anyone else in the waiting room as my immune system is compromised at the moment, but I needn't have worried as it was quiet this morning.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

16-07-2018, 11:07 AM

Re: G.P. appointment waiting times

No complaints re our Doctors Surgery they are great.

Not sure how you get a 30 minute slot though unless you specifically ask for it.

Our Doctor has roughly 12 minutes per patient. If we have complex problems and feel we need longer than the 12 mins we have to book two slots.

This way it keeps the allotted appointment time more or less to schedule.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
No complaints re our Doctors Surgery they are great.

Not sure how you get a 30 minute slot though unless you specifically ask for it.

Our Doctor has roughly 12 minutes per patient. If we have complex problems and feel we need longer than the 12 mins we have to book two slots.

This way it keeps the allotted appointment time more or less to schedule.
I think she's the designated doctor for those who have multiple health issues, and thus is allowed to spend as much time as she feels is necessary with her patients. She's certainly the only doctor in the pratctice who does this, and accounts for the fact that she is always running late. This morning we had about 15 minutes, but I've had 45 minute appointments with her before. Other doctors I've seen in an emergency have always been around 10 minutes with me.

Her 8:00 appointment today (the one before mine) must have gone on for around an hour.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 11:15 AM

10 minutes is the norm, up to 2 weeks for an appointment. Hospital treatment is now appalling, 18mth for physiotherapy, 10mth for eye treatment for 2 conditions that lead to blindness, and currently awaiting treatment for hand condition that requires diagnosis and treatment, and is deteriorating weekly.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

16-07-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
10 minutes is the norm, up to 2 weeks for an appointment. Hospital treatment is now appalling, 18mth for physiotherapy, 10mth for eye treatment for 2 conditions that lead to blindness, and currently awaiting treatment for hand condition that requires diagnosis and treatment, and is deteriorating weekly.
Your hospital service sounds appallingly bad - I suppose it depends upon where you live, what part of the country you live in.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

16-07-2018, 12:40 PM

My other half phoned for an appointment the other morning and got a choice of four slots that day.

Slightly different to when we lived up North, once you'd got through the first battle of getting to speak to someone you were lucky to get an appointment within 2 weeks. I think they worked on the they'll either be dead or better by them.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

16-07-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
My other half phoned for an appointment the other morning and got a choice of four slots that day.

Slightly different to when we lived up North, once you'd got through the first battle of getting to speak to someone you were lucky to get an appointment within 2 weeks. I think they worked on the they'll either be dead or better by them.
That sounds like a good practice.

I've always managed to get same day appointments when I've needed them or to get a doctor to phone me back if it's just a more general enquiry.

I've also got a special haemotology hotline number to phone when I'm not feeling well or if my temperature is above 38c. I'm reluctant to use this but have as they almost always want me to come to the hospital, Ward 2, for a complete checkup.

Last time I had no choice as it was 5am, I was vomiting, had a high temperature and clearly wasn't well. That time I was in hospital for 4 days.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Your hospital service sounds appallingly bad - I suppose it depends upon where you live, what part of the country you live in.
NE UK, not bad Fosse just trying .to give a decent service under staggering cuts to dept and staff. Something has to give, nationally it was reported just recently that over 200 people went blind waiting for eye treatment.

Im on waiting lists, they are unable to give dates.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

16-07-2018, 02:28 PM

I know they say they are, but the government needs to put massively more money into the NHS.

There are the continuing issues of NHS waste and people abusing the system but much more money is needed.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 06:29 PM

At my doctors they have 5 minute slots and 10 minute slots. We can book online but usually when I look there are no appointments anyway so I have to ring at 8am, the phone queue is usually ridiculously long, "and you are number 17 in the queue" which is so annoying as by the time you get to speak to the receptionist all the appointments might have gone.

It is harder and harder to see my usual doctor these days but when I do get to see him he always makes time for me even if it goes over that 10 minute slot, he's wonderful, no wonder I can rarely get to see him, everyone wants to see him out of all the practice doctors!

I too worry about catching germs whilst sitting in the surgery Ffosse, especially is someone is snivelling and coughing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top