Join for free
Page 12 of 20 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 07:59 AM

Re: General Election 2017: The Result

Originally Posted by summer ->
Young people voted for more beer in bigger pint pots, nothing to do with right or left, Corbyn promised everything knowing he would not have to deliver.

Which of us would not vote for free university education if we were that age and going to uni? £9000 per year for three years...you bet I would vote not to pay that.
I agree with what you say Summer, and I know that young people are more interested in what they can get now, rather than what it will produce later... hell weren't we all the same at their age?
The problem is that, if Labour promise money to give the young what they want, of course they will expect it, but which other citizens will suffer for all these vote grabbing ideas?
If they tax big businesses too much they will move elsewhere... thereby taking a lot of jobs from the British people, who will then need to claim benefits!
The Labour idea of equality will just make everybody poorer, because, if you don't have the wealthy bringing money into this country, where will the money come from to support the poor?
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The election has left us with a few problems.

On the home front, we will now see if May is going to up the ante in the fight against terrorism.

Contrary to what May has been saying publicly, she is still cutting Budgets.

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/...nit-drop-ps32m

She is going to have to find some more money from somewhere.
I agree there are a few problems . The trouble is nobody seems keen on the answer.
Mrs May we only be able to enact security legislation if she is allowed by parliament and to a great extent that will be hindered by Labour and Corbin.

With regard to cutting budgets, we still need to live within our means. I wonder how long it will be before our creditors lose patience with us as they did with Labour in the seventies.

As for were the money will come from? It will come from us, either in the form of increased production from the workforce or increased taxation, take your pick.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree with what you say Summer, and I know that young people are more interested in what they can get now, rather than what it will produce later... hell weren't we all the same at their age?
The problem is that, if Labour promise money to give the young what they want, of course they will expect it, but which other citizens will suffer for all these vote grabbing ideas?
If they tax big businesses too much they will move elsewhere... thereby taking a lot of jobs from the British people, who will then need to claim benefits!
The Labour idea of equality will just make everybody poorer, because, if you don't have the wealthy bringing money into this country, where will the money come from to support the poor?
Yeah,but, that phase lasted a year or two years ago, now it lasts into mid life.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I always look on the bright side summer.

It means I can still go on my wine runs to Calais and the cheap vodka and tobacco will still be available.
Depends if the pound is worth anything swim, but actually I was surprised the 250 held so well yesterday and the 100 went up, the pound took a bit of a hit though so you might not get quite so many bargains.

By the way did no one tell you smoking is bad for your health!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Totally agree Twinks,.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 09:10 AM

I am disappointed by the election result, but I've calmed down a bit now, so here are my thoughts

I can see that TM needed to call a GE to clear the air and get a proper mandate.
At first she was riding high, and although labour would probably have gained a few votes with their sweeteners like tuition fees, she would still have had a decent majority

The real damage was done by three things - Winter Fuel Allowance; Care/Dementia Tax; and Pensions Lock

Why, Oh why, did she even mention them?
These would hit a certain age group (ours) who were the most likely to vote Conservative, and also send a signal to the rest of the population

If she needed to find money, she could have announced that it was coming by reducing the overseas aid budget - yes, the Snowflakes and the Left would have squealed, but she wouldn't have had their votes anyway, and overall it would have gained her votes. Just what is it about this that makes all the established parties refuse to touch it?

My concern is that this will lead to a weakening of Brexit, and the likes of Timmy & Gina are already doing their best to subvert it

If we don't get a proper Brexit in the months & years to come, there will be a lot of angry people around, myself included
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

10-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I am disappointed by the election result, but I've calmed down a bit now, so here are my thoughts

I can see that TM needed to call a GE to clear the air and get a proper mandate.
At first she was riding high, and although labour would probably have gained a few votes with their sweeteners like tuition fees, she would still have had a decent majority

The real damage was done by three things - Winter Fuel Allowance; Care/Dementia Tax; and Pensions Lock

Why, Oh why, did she even mention them?
These would hit a certain age group (ours) who were the most likely to vote Conservative, and also send a signal to the rest of the population

If she needed to find money, she could have announced that it was coming by reducing the overseas aid budget - yes, the Snowflakes and the Left would have squealed, but she wouldn't have had their votes anyway, and overall it would have gained her votes. Just what is it about this that makes all the established parties refuse to touch it?

My concern is that this will lead to a weakening of Brexit, and the likes of Timmy & Gina are already doing their best to subvert it

If we don't get a proper Brexit in the months & years to come, there will be a lot of angry people around, myself included
Good post Zulu, I think she was poorly advised it was a pigs ear of a campaign. I fear for Brexit too
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 10:08 AM

Dear god preserve us, have you seen the motley crew the Cons have aligned with to boost their numbers?
Anti same sex marriage, anti abortion, gun toting blah blah blah...I can't see May lasting long at this rate

Election results 2017: Who are the DUP's 10 MPs? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40220397
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Dear god preserve us, have you seen the motley crew the Cons have aligned with to boost their numbers?
Anti same sex marriage, anti abortion, gun toting blah blah blah...I can't see May lasting long at this rate

Election results 2017: Who are the DUP's 10 MPs? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40220397
I agree,Gawd help Britain if this is who's going to be ruling Us for the next 5 yrs.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2017, 10:16 AM

Yes Zuludog excellent post.....

I'm just wondering why the media, and us on this forum like to group people together [Stereotypes] I don't believe there is anywhere on a voting form to write your name, age, or any other relevant details. Some journalist lurking around a university car park asking students how they will vote is hardly a representation of all students from all different locations and different walks of life.

How many people on this forum were asked which way they would vote on the way out of an M&S cafe or Garden Centre. And what about peer pressure on the students. I'm sure if they fancied voting against general flow they would not want it televised across the whole nation. Your vote is your business and nobody has to declare who they voted for.....

So let's face it, we are assuming.......Just like we assumed that everyone would vote to remain in the EU, or that all Americans would not vote for the likes of Trump to be president. So based on such flimsy evidence we can put all the elderly in a group, all the young in a group, all the rich in a group and all the working classes from up north in a group and guess which way they voted......

Page 12 of 20 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top