Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 10:39 AM

Re: Should animal charities bring in dogs from overseas ?

I don't doubt the love ceecee but as a family who have made decisions to make it work for the dogs too I find it hard to see one left home all day alone. I have since I married and we made that first decision to get a dog only worked part time or opposing hours to my husband. He works days I do the nights, that way the dogs have someone home all the time.

As I said I know things happen and accidentally you can end up having to work but don't chose to take a dog into a working home unless you can make it work for the dog.

I don't love mine more than anyone else I realise that but I do make their needs top priority, they don't chose us we chose them.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have put this is debates rather than pets as I think it might make a good debate .

Here goes

Should the uk allow animal charities to bring in dogs from Romania Ireland and Afghanistan etc ?

These are not pets but dogs that have been abandoned on the streets or just semi feral dogs .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-17668242

There is also a growing trade in importing puppies for sale from Eastern Europe .

We don't know how true their health certificates are ?
Surely this is dangerous .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle...a-disease.html
Definitely not! They could be carriers of disease, and should be put down if homes can't be found for them in their own countries.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 01:01 PM

It seems to be a growing trend. I've noticed even long established rescue centres are offering these dogs for adoption. It would put me off if their history isn't known.
There's not many (British origin) small cross breeds anywhere, it seems to be mostly big dogs and bull terrier types. Makes me wonder where they've been rescued from.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It seems to be a growing trend. I've noticed even long established rescue centres are offering these dogs for adoption. It would put me off if their history isn't known.
There's not many (British origin) small cross breeds anywhere, it seems to be mostly big dogs and bull terrier types. Makes me wonder where they've been rescued from.
Small dogs usually end up in breed rescues tessa, and cross breeds are all designer pedigrees now. I don't get that at all but apparently puggles are more expensive than pug x breeds.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Definitely not! They could be carriers of disease, and should be put down if homes can't be found for them in their own countries.
Does that also apply to immigrants, legal or otherwise, travellers from other countries coming into the UK for business, holiday, etc? These people are not health checked either and could be carrying any number of diseases.

You always seem to be so keen on "extermination", there are other options you know.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Does that also apply to immigrants, legal or otherwise, travellers from other countries coming into the UK for business, holiday, etc? These people are not health checked either and could be carrying any number of diseases.

You always seem to be so keen on "extermination", there are other options you know.
I have no problem with immigrants coming into the UK, this country needs them. We certainly don't need dogs, which should be put down rather than allowed in. The animal charities in this country have enough unwanted ones here in the UK, which should also be put down if they can't be rehomed. The human animal is much more important than those of other species, imo.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 05:43 PM

It would be impossible to save all the animals from abroad that are stray or mistreated but even if we saved just one it would be important to the animal in question.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have no problem with immigrants coming into the UK, this country needs them.
No - we do not. We can barely cope with with the current population - we do not need to add more.

The human animal is much more important than those of other species, imo.
No - it is not !
The human is the most destructive creature on the planet
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It would be impossible to save all the animals from abroad that are stray or mistreated but even if we saved just one it would be important to the animal in question.
Sweet voice of reason - thank you, Dongles!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

30-01-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
No - we do not. We can barely cope with with the current population - we do not need to add more.

No - it is not !
The human is the most destructive creature on the planet
So be it!

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top