Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 06:35 PM

Re: A Very English Scandal - New BBC drama

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Incredible wasn't it?
I'm still reeling from the judge's summing up!
I suspect that sort of summing up would be seriously challenged today, and an appeal for a re-trial by the prosecution.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 08:28 PM

Made me laugh when his wife, after hearing Thorpe's so-called confession, ended with "I've made cod in parsley sauce for your tea." How British stiff upper lip can you get? An excellent drama and well done to Hugh Grant.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Made me laugh when his wife, after hearing Thorpe's so-called confession, ended with "I've made cod in parsley sauce for your tea." How British stiff upper lip can you get? An excellent drama and well done to Hugh Grant.
I agree. I thought his facial expressions, when he won the case, truly showed his selfish, and self satisfied, reaction to the verdict.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree. I thought his facial expressions, when he won the case, truly showed his selfish, and self satisfied, reaction to the verdict.
It was never going to be otherwise, with a judge as a fellow member of the Old Boys' Club.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 11:09 AM

I'm watching it, but it strikes an almost Carry On note doesn't it? It only needs some Benny Hill music. It's fascinating though, and I find the gay lover strangely attractive, he seems so vulnerable and rather sweet. I daren't speculate on what that says about me ....
Definitely Eccles, I was thinking the same. That odd comical music running almost throughout and some one liners. The actor who plays Scott even reminds me of a carry on actor (I will have to look that up).

Having said that, I did enjoy it. It's probably the only thing I have seen Hugh Grant in that I have liked.

I have just downloaded the documentary from iplayer too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jbr ->
we just watched the jeremy thorpe play and, i have to admit, i never realised just how corrupt that judge was in his summing-up. He basically dictated to the jury to find thorpe not guilty and the jury, who appeared to be easily swayed by the judge, did exactly what he effectively ordered them to do. This was surely the old boys' club looking after each other.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

07-06-2018, 11:14 AM

Boil in the bag no doubt.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The actor who plays Scott even reminds me of a carry on actor (I will have to look that up).
Ben Wishaw played Scott - perhaps he looks a bit like Jim Dale?

May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 12:34 PM

I loved it from start to finish...fab' acting from all concerned and Hugh Grant was brilliant...bound to win some type of an award Methinks,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

07-06-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Ben Wishaw played Scott - perhaps he looks a bit like Jim Dale?

Possibly? I just can't quite get the image in my head.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top