Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 05:25 PM

Re: The Alfie Evans case has proven we have to change the law in favour of parents

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree Morty. I think the parents were desperate to keep him alive, but all Rome was offering was continued palliative care. No doctor had even seen him so they couldn't offer anything that would help him survive... apart from more time on a life support machine & how can anybody know if that child was suffering pain or discomfort?
The report tells you this
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 05:30 PM

Re: The Alfie Evans case has proven we have to change the law in favour of parents

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
He died anyway so I didn't see the logic in their POV.

I see this as a bigger discussion about the power medics should have over our lives when we are too vulnerable to walk out. The way vulnerable people are treated is still appalling. Did you know what people with dementia can be given ECT to pacify them? You don't have to obtain consent if someone is deemed to have lost capacity.
Then I'm losing the thread of your logic.
Old people or those with terminal diseases or those with dementia who are given ECT to pacify them ... well, would they want a relative, next of kin, or someone with the power of attorney to say ....keep them alive whatever it takes? Or want a medical professional to switch them off or give them a fatal injection?
Would you want the Courts to intercede?
I must be misunderstanding you.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
The report tells you this
Then if they knew , for sure, that the child was suffering and could not survive without life support, I am surprised that anybody would think it right to continue.... apart from his family who must have been in an emotional turmoil!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Then if they knew , for sure, that the child was suffering and could not survive without life support, I am surprised that anybody would think it right to continue.... apart from his family who must have been in an emotional turmoil!
But they didn't think it was right to continue, that's why they fought the parents all the way!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 05:38 PM

But they didn't think it was right to continue, that's why they fought the parents all the way!
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. When I said "anybody" I was talking about the general public, not the hospital. I was just pointing out that the parents couldn't accept it because they were hoping for a miracle.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

29-04-2018, 05:47 PM

Sorry Twink, yes I misunderstood you, apologies....re the general public most people hadn't a clue, they took one look at him, saw that he looked normal and branded the dedicated doctors as monsters.

Isn't this what inevitably happens as soon as the papers get hold of a story like this?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 06:37 PM

There was never any question of Aysha being brain dead.

At the time proton beam therapy for cancer was in its experimental stages and the multi millions of pounds necessary for it to be available here on the NHS wasn't available.
I'm not sure that it is now, isn't it private?

https://www.ft.com/content/7a15b9e2-...0-52972418fec4
They are opening 3 centres. The first will be in Liverpool or Manchester, the second at UCL in London, can't remember the third location. The therapy was available when Ashya was sick. The NHS would send patients abroad to have it. The funding was there but required approval from medics etc.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Then I'm losing the thread of your logic.
Old people or those with terminal diseases or those with dementia who are given ECT to pacify them ... well, would they want a relative, next of kin, or someone with the power of attorney to say ....keep them alive whatever it takes? Or want a medical professional to switch them off or give them a fatal injection?
Would you want the Courts to intercede?
I must be misunderstanding you.
I am saying medics have too much power over the lives of the vulnerable. Instead of healing they have become control freaks.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 07:09 PM

Sorry Twink, yes I misunderstood you, apologies....re the general public most people hadn't a clue, they took one look at him, saw that he looked normal and branded the dedicated doctors as monsters.

Isn't this what inevitably happens as soon as the papers get hold of a story like this?
I don't think you can label a few ill educated yobbos outside the hospital as the general public .
The baby was one of several children on a recent documentary on called I think a child's life .
Even then the doctors commented cautiously that there was no hope for little Alfie.
So quite a lot of the general public will have a clue .
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

29-04-2018, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I am saying medics have too much power over the lives of the vulnerable.
Instead of healing they have become control freaks.
I say old girl, that's a bit strong isn't it?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I don't think you can label a few ill educated yobbos outside the hospital as the general public .
The baby was one of several children on a recent documentary on called I think a child's life .
Even then the doctors commented cautiously that there was no hope for little Alfie.
So quite a lot of the general public will have a clue
Yes, so maybe it's just the vociferous few that give the wrong impression that they really understand the situation?

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top