Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Re: Wee Tomatoes.

Go to Thompson & Morgan's site, they'll have a list of varieties. I never grew the cherry or grape tomatoes, too sweet for me.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 04:34 PM

Gardners Delight WOOHOO. Thanks Gordiegirl that's the one.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I used to grow Tomatoes in the Greenhouse, but after 2 really lousy Summers in the trot and the Crop not coming to much I decided to not bother the last couple of years. I've decided to give it another go next year BUT I can't remember the name of those plants that give the tiny wee Tomatoes. Can any of you Gardeners help?
I'm growing Bush tomatoes called Vilma for the 2nd year and they are brilliant! I've got about eight plants dotted around in the flower beds 'cos they're only a foot tall so they blend in well! We cut back some of the foliage today and each plant has about 25-30 cherry tomatoes, perfect for salads but great for home cooking too. Last year they were still ripening in a drawer in late October - no problem!!
I've also got some indeterminates that I've never tried before called Harbinger - 8 plants again - and they all have at least 4 trusses each of medium sized fruits and they grow to about 2 feet tall. This is a traditional Tomato dating back to 1910 so it'll be interesting to see what they taste like!! stevmk2
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 07:27 PM

Im not really a gardener as such, I do grow a few veg, tomato, and strawberry plants, but the other day I was in costco store close to where I live and saw what were named as Tomberries, they were tomatoes, but the size of a fingernail, I have never come across these before, any one else seen them.
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 07:49 PM

I grow as cherry toms Gardeners Delight. They produce a good crop if fed well and they taste delicious.
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 07:50 PM

I've grown Tumbling Toms this year Roxy & there's loads of them! I grew them outside as the cats have taken over the greenhouse & most of them are the size of Smarties but lovely & sweet.

There's still a lot left to ripen so I hope we get the sunshine back!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by aitch ->
Im not really a gardener as such, I do grow a few veg, tomato, and strawberry plants, but the other day I was in costco store close to where I live and saw what were named as Tomberries, they were tomatoes, but the size of a fingernail, I have never come across these before, any one else seen them.
I'd never heard of them either, so Googled"|:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tomberry
Several Tomberries
Several Tomberries
Stats
Fruit Weight 1 to 2 grams
Color yellow or red
Shape Grape

Tomberry is a trademarked name for an unusually small cultivar of tomatoes produced by the Netherlands company Eminent Food BV and distributed in the United Kingdom and continental Europe. The Tomberry is about 0.5 to 1 cm in diameter with an average fruit weight of 1 to 2 grams.[1]

What would you use them for? In a salad, perhaps ......
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 10:16 PM

I would have tried one !, but they were in a sealed container, and to buy in Costco, you buy in large amounts, so maybe next time I go, I will ask for a sample, they did look very nice though.
Geordiegirl
Suffolk UK
Geordiegirl is female  Geordiegirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 07:06 AM

My best toms this year are a type called "Rosa" they are plum tomatoes with the most beautiful flavour
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 07:55 AM

The sweetest variety is Black Cherry . . . they're a deep almost black-red in colour . . . they need stakes as they're the upright type of plants.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top