Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 03:05 AM

Real life vs. Internet: Is your personality different?

Are you the same person in real life as you come across on internet forums?
Does your personality or character traits change much when you converse with folk on the net?
And if so, is it because you know you will never meet these people in real life and you can get away with things you wouldn't say to someone face to face?

Myself, I'm very similar in both situations. I think I'm pretty 'what you see is what you get'. I don't see why I should need to be a different person.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 03:49 AM

Re: Real life vs. Internet: Is your personality different?

What an interesting question.

I think people react to me differently in real life, maybe that's because I'm more guarded here and I watch what I say. I do think there is a skill in communicating here some people have it naturally and others (like me) not so much.

its very different to real life well it is for me anyway.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
What an interesting question.

I think people react to me differently in real life, maybe that's because I'm more guarded here and I watch what I say. I do think there is a skill in communicating here some people have it naturally and others (like me) not so much.

its very different to real life well it is for me anyway.
That's a very good point, Summer.
We have to be more careful and watch what we say on the net. When speaking in real life situations we can judge one another by our vocal tones and mannerisms.
There are some who can put their points across more naturally than others can on the net too, making them appear more genuine. So maybe I am quite a lot different after all?!
Others resort to smilies to explain their feelings lol!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 04:04 AM

Actually Floydy I think you're a natural here
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-04-2018, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Actually Floydy I think you're a natural here
Some say I'm too honest sometimes in real life, especially at work where I can easily drop myself in it.
I say too much when a little less would do...then people ask questions!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

06-04-2018, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Some say I'm too honest sometimes in real life, especially at work where I can easily drop myself in it.
I say too much when a little less would do...then people ask questions!
Ha! Zip it mister
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 05:45 AM

Hi

Internet is different to real life, simply because it is easy to misinterpret the written word.

In real life, as has been said, it is much easier to judge another person and thus avoid offence.

Body language and tone of voice are important in real life.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 06:07 AM

I just am who I am, here and there. Hmmm. Is this forum here and am I there? Or is my life here, and the forum there?

Regardless, having a persona on this forum different than who I am would be waaay to much work. I'm here, without agenda, simply because it's fun and interesting. Why act?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 07:48 AM

I'm not consciously any different on the forum but I suppose you can be perceived differently even if unintentionally. As others have said, body language can make a big difference to how a comment is meant and received so more care has to be taken online I think to prevent misunderstandings.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2018, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I just am who I am, here and there. Hmmm. Is this forum here and am I there? Or is my life here, and the forum there?

Regardless, having a persona on this forum different than who I am would be waaay to much work. I'm here, without agenda, simply because it's fun and interesting. Why act?
You are right Surfermom! I say what I think on the internet and in real life, but that is because I am honest with everybody!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top