Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 09:07 PM

Moon with green halo .

Full moon with a green 'halo '
Never seen this before
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 09:48 PM

Re: Moon with green halo .

Photo?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 10:35 PM

When and where Muddy?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 10:37 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_(...#Circular_halo

Halo (from Greek ἅλως, halōs) is the name for a family of optical phenomena produced by sunlight interacting with ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere. Halos can have many forms, ranging from colored or white rings to arcs and spots in the sky. Many of these appear near the Sun or Moon, but others occur elsewhere or even in the opposite part of the sky. Among the best known halo types are the circular halo (properly called the 22° halo), light pillars, and sun dogs, but many others occur; some are fairly common while others are (extremely) rare.

Among the best-known halos is the 22° halo, often just called "halo", which appears as a large ring around the Sun or Moon with a radius of about 22° (roughly the width of an outstretched hand at arm's length). The ice crystals that cause the 22° halo are oriented semi-randomly in the atmosphere, in contrast to the horizontal orientation required for some other halos such as sun dogs and light pillars. As a result of the optical properties of the ice crystals involved, no light is reflected towards the inside of the ring, leaving the sky noticeably darker than the sky around it, and giving it the impression of a "hole in the sky". The 22° halo is not to be confused with the corona, which is a different optical phenomenon caused by water droplets rather than ice crystals, and which has the appearance of a multicolored disk rather than a ring.
Well, I never knew that - I shall have to look up more often .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 10:45 PM

I was going to say that I was out attempting to photograph the moon earlier (I say attempting because I don't really have the equipment to do it); but I didn't notice any green halo around it. I just went and checked my crappy photo and there is indeed a slight green halo around the moon. Too subtle to post a pic though I think.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
When and where Muddy?
Tonight the uk
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

27-09-2018, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Photo?
It was beteen these two more than the first less than the second .

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1988.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	7387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1987.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	7388  
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 09:27 AM

Wow - great photos!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

27-09-2018, 09:50 AM

Not mine ST I'm afraid !
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Interesting Muddy. On a lighter note..maybe the moon is made of green cheese afterall .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top