Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 09:15 PM

Re: Physisist in the house ?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A unit used for acceleration when the change in velocity per second is divided by the change in time, which is also in seconds: e.g., if the speed increased from 5 meters per second to 20 meters per second in a time interval of one second, the acceleration would be 15 meters per second per second (15 m/sec./sec. or 15/m/sec.2)

So, it is not how fast you are going, but how quickly your speed is increasing.

I hope this helps.
Thank you, Swimmy, that explains it beautifully !

I love this place - it is so full of people with knowledge that they are willing to share. I have learned a lot.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
--------------------------------------------------------------------Dear Silver Tabby,
This is not my field of expertise but many years ago while taking sky-diving lessons it was explained to me this way.
During the 1st second of free-fall a body drops at a rate of 32 feet/second (32 X !)
During the next second the body falls at a rate of 64 feet/second. (32 X2)
During the 3rd second of fall the body drops at a rate of 96 feet/second (32 X3)
This continues until "TERMINAL VELOCITY" is reached. In other words when you reach a certain speed you can not go any faster.
Hope that helps
Thank you, Bakerman.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 11:28 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard to make friends when people are kicking you.
I'll say one thing ... you've got staying power. To be honest I thought you'd have jumped overboard by now or suffocated under the heap of bodies that seem to jump on you from a great height.

Interesting thread ... I need to digest it as I'm not too clever or scientifically minded.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 02:07 PM

In my search for an answer to "what is gravity?" I attempted to understand gravitons. Phew, oh boy. Did I ever get lost in a BIG hurry. That's so far over my head I can't even see the top. There is even a debate among scientists on whether gravitons even exist.
I may end up where I started. Any two objects within the universe will have an "attraction". And the more massive an object the more gravity it has.
Jupiter, the largest planet in our solar system, had the greatest mass and thus the greatest gravitational "tug".
When an object, say an asteroid, is wizzing through space, in a perfectly straight line, it may encounter the gravitational field of Jupiter. When that happens the trajectory of the asteroid is altered and it will now move off in a different trajectory. If the asteroid passes close enough to Jupiter, then the gravity of Jupiter may be so strong that the asteroid either becomes a permanent satellite of Jupiter or it may crash into that Jovian planet.
I still know next to nothing about gravity but I'm having fun
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 03:07 PM

In my search for an answer to "what is gravity?" I attempted to understand gravitons. Phew, oh boy. Did I ever get lost in a BIG hurry. That's so far over my head I can't even see the top. There is even a debate among scientists on whether gravitons even exist.
I may end up where I started. Any two objects within the universe will have an "attraction". And the more massive an object the more gravity it has.
Jupiter, the largest planet in our solar system, had the greatest mass and thus the greatest gravitational "tug".
When an object, say an asteroid, is wizzing through space, in a perfectly straight line, it may encounter the gravitational field of Jupiter. When that happens the trajectory of the asteroid is altered and it will now move off in a different trajectory. If the asteroid passes close enough to Jupiter, then the gravity of Jupiter may be so strong that the asteroid either becomes a permanent satellite of Jupiter or it may crash into that Jovian planet.
I still know next to nothing about gravity but I'm having fun
Hi

Gravity has been fully explained in this thread.

The effect of Gravity is dependant not only only the mass of the object, but also the distance from it.

If the distance is doubled, the force of attraction is only one quarter, not one half and so on.

An object entering the solar system close to Earth would be much more affected by the Earth than by Jupiter, which. although much more massive, would not have the greater gravitational influence due to distance.

That is why we can have satellites.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Gravity has been fully explained in this thread.

The effect of Gravity is dependant not only only the mass of the object, but also the distance from it.

If the distance is doubled, the force of attraction is only one quarter, not one half and so on.

An object entering the solar system close to Earth would be much more affected by the Earth than by Jupiter, which. although much more massive, would not have the greater gravitational influence due to distance.

That is why we can have satellites.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Bakerman

You are explaining what gravity does. I already know that. I have known that since I was a child.
My question is, "I want to know what gravity is and why it works and what is it made up of"? Yes, yes I know it is a force. Please don't explain the different kinds of forces. I already know that if I release a baseball from my hand it always goes down, never up.
If I gradually move a magnet closer and closer to a pin, eventually the pin will, in a fraction of a second, move to and attach itself to the magnet.
The earth does not hold an object to the earths surface because of magnetism. Magnetism works only on metallic objects not organic objects. I could hold a strong magnet against a carrot but the carrot would NEVER stick to the magnet. Yet if I dropped a carrot from my hand it would fall to earth.
I already know that any two objects in the universe have an attraction for each other. WHY ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

06-10-2017, 10:10 PM

I found out about gravitity the hard way today. On route to the garage - caught foot in a sneaky stray bramble - went head long into a bunch of nettles!

Gravitiy hurts !!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 10:40 PM

Also, I don't believe that N.A.S.A. thinks that gravity is very weak; nor any other nation who tries to put objects into space.
Really? NASA's space shuttle overcame the pull of an object 12000 km in diameter with just 3 million litres of fuel?
bakerman
Mexico

07-10-2017, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Really? NASA's space shuttle overcame the pull of an object 12000 km in diameter with just 3 million litres of fuel?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have absolutely no idea what this person is trying to say.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????
bakerman
Mexico

07-10-2017, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I found out about gravitity the hard way today. On route to the garage - caught foot in a sneaky stray bramble - went head long into a bunch of nettles!

Gravitiy hurts !!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a lady who understands gravity. Go to the head of the class.
P.S. Tabby, don't pay any attention to the trolls, half of then are only able to make wise arse juvenile remarks.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top