Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 06:58 AM

Re: Physisist in the house ?

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Bakerman

You are explaining what gravity does. I already know that. I have known that since I was a child.
My question is, "I want to know what gravity is and why it works and what is it made up of"? Yes, yes I know it is a force. Please don't explain the different kinds of forces. I already know that if I release a baseball from my hand it always goes down, never up.
If I gradually move a magnet closer and closer to a pin, eventually the pin will, in a fraction of a second, move to and attach itself to the magnet.
The earth does not hold an object to the earths surface because of magnetism. Magnetism works only on metallic objects not organic objects. I could hold a strong magnet against a carrot but the carrot would NEVER stick to the magnet. Yet if I dropped a carrot from my hand it would fall to earth.
I already know that any two objects in the universe have an attraction for each other. WHY ?
Hi

Gravity is a consequence of the curvature of spacetime caused by the uneven distribution of mass.

Gravity is the name we give to an observable and measurable phenomenon.

It is thought, at the present time, that it is made up of gravitons.

Until we can isolate and measure these we have no way of proving this theory.

Gravitons, if they exist, can only exist in another dimension.

We have recently been able to detect Gravitational Waves, but not gravitons.

The best explanation, to my mind is here.

https://home.cern/about/physics/extr...ny-black-holes
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 04:50 AM

Excellent and succinct article, swimfeeders.

I was thrilled to hear that the Nobel physics prize went to Rainer Weiss, Kip Thorne, and Barry Barish for detecting the gravitational waves of two colliding black holes. Quite a remarkable thing to wrap one's head around, let alone create the infrastructure and experiments.

A well-written summary:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...science-space/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 04:59 AM

Also, I don't believe that N.A.S.A. thinks that gravity is very weak; nor any other nation who tries to put objects into space.
Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Really? NASA's space shuttle overcame the pull of an object 12000 km in diameter with just 3 million litres of fuel?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have absolutely no idea what this person is trying to say.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????
I thought it was pretty obvious in context. The Earth is really really big, ginormously big, it's a body over 12000km in diameter yet something like the space shuttle can escape its influence with a relatively small amount of fuel because of the weakness of gravity.

Get it now?

(Perhaps I should have copied your President and said "...very, very big")
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Excellent and succinct article, swimfeeders.

I was thrilled to hear that the Nobel physics prize went to Rainer Weiss, Kip Thorne, and Barry Barish for detecting the gravitational waves of two colliding black holes. Quite a remarkable thing to wrap one's head around, let alone create the infrastructure and experiments.

A well-written summary:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...science-space/
Hi

Thanks for that Surfermom.

We have some stunning brains in the world.

I am a follower, not a leader.

I can understand the Maths, but I could not develop them them.

We denigrate our youngsters here in the UK,sadly, but we have some great minds.

When my son had his friends round, the conversations were stunning, and difficult to follow.

I am no idiot, but they are orders of magnitude better than me.

The problem here in the UK is that we do not value our scientists and engineers, we are not a meritocracy, unlike the USA and others.

My nephew has a Phd from Oxford, he developed a method of X Raying chemical reactions in real time.

He has been snapped up by the Japanese, who are making millions from his research.

My son's circle of friends from Uni, all 5 of them, are all now working for Foreign Companies.

I find this so sad.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I thought it was pretty obvious in context. The Earth is really really big, ginormously big, it's a body over 12000km in diameter yet something like the space shuttle can escape its influence with a relatively small amount of fuel because of the weakness of gravity.

Get it now?

(Perhaps I should have copied your President and said "...very, very big")
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I think perhaps you should write an article in a scientific journal and explain your theory. It seems that the earth and all the other planets DO NOT revolve around the Sun because of the Suns gravity. It seems, that Bruce has discovered another force that holds the planets in place.
He would have us believe that the Suns gravity does NOT reach clear out to Pluto and beyond.
Perhaps it is magic that causes the planets to revolve around the Sun. Yep, gravity sure is weak !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

10-10-2017, 07:47 AM

I think perhaps you should write an article in a scientific journal and explain your theory. It seems that the earth and all the other planets DO NOT revolve around the Sun because of the Suns gravity. It seems, that Bruce has discovered another force that holds the planets in place.
He would have us believe that the Suns gravity does NOT reach clear out to Pluto and beyond.
Perhaps it is magic that causes the planets to revolve around the Sun. Yep, gravity sure is weak !
Hi

It would be more informative if you could do an Article explaining why you are right and Einstein is wrong.

I am always willing to learn.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 08:52 AM

An interesting take on gravity and mass by Professor Brian Cox....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 12:23 PM

You really are a galah. I didn't mention the Sun and I certainly didn't say its gravity doesn't extend out past Pluto. You came up with that all by yourself. You have previous form at putting words in people mouths or is it just making things up? It is a very unfortunate trait.

The sun is, what? 1.2million km in diameter which is much bigger than the earth by over 100 times so its gravity is consequently that much stronger that the relatively tiny Earth.

However discussing anything with you seems a total waste of time so I won't bother any more.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 02:50 PM

I started this thread clearly stating that I wanted to understand what gravity is. I make no pretense of having any great knowledge on the subject. I never said Einstein was wrong. His theories are so far over my head that I could never be able to understand them.
My argument is with those people who contend that gravity is "weak".

I may not know much, but this much I do know:
Gravity, the force we are all most familiar with, is also the least understood. Gravity is the force responsible for creating the sun, moon, planets, stars, and which holds the galaxies together. Without gravity, the celestial bodies would be nothing but gaseous clouds within the universe.
Without gravity our moon would go spinning of into the vastness of space.
Without gravity no life could be possible because there would be no planet we call earth. Without gravity we would not even be having this conversation.

Gravity is "weak" ? Not bloody likely.
bakerman
Mexico

10-10-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bruce ->

however discussing anything with you seems a total waste of time so i won't bother any more.

do you promise ?

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top