Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 09:29 AM

Why do you live where you do ?

Nasty comment made yesterday made me think, I wonder why we all live where we do ?

I have never really moved more than twenty miles from my birthplace, and when I did I came scurrying back really fast, it was like I w attached to elastic and it refuses to stretch too far from my home town.

Here we have everything a family needs, hospitals nearby, shops a plenty. It's pleasantly green really for a build up area.

I'm in a middle floor flat so hardly need any heating and I have a fabulous view from kitchen window across knaphill and chobham and into the distance.

There are annoyances but the pluses outweigh the minuses.

I couldn't get a cheaper flat in many places as we've paid off mortgage portion and just now pay rent and service charge.

My jobs great I love my ladies and gentlemen and will happily carry on cleaning for them as long as I am able. I doubt I'd get another job now far too unfit.

My husband isn't so happy with his job but he's determined not to get pushed out as he's loved it until recently.

I have ties in the community and family here, I don't think I cope well away from family.

So what makes you stay where you are ?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 09:37 AM

Re: Why do you live where you do ?

I moved from my home island when I married in 1969, my husband and I have moved around the UK quite a lot since then. He was ambitious and each promotion took us to a different place. We moved to Wales in 1990 and have lived in four properties since then, changing houses to suit our needs. We sold our previous property in 2012, a 1610 farmhouse, which came to media attention a few times due to the weird activity which took place there! Our present house is about 30 years old, it is a detached very spacious property, but much more easily maintained than the farmhouse.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I moved from my home island when I married in 1969, my husband and I have moved around the UK quite a lot since then. He was ambitious and each promotion took us to a different place. We moved to Wales in 1990 and have lived in four properties since then, changing houses to suit our needs. We sold our previous property in 2012, a 1610 farmhouse, which came to media attention a few times due to the weird activity which took place there! Our present house is about 30 years old, it is a detached very spacious property, but much more easily maintained than the farmhouse.
remember you saying about that farmhouse on another forum
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Sounds lovely T, I guess neither of us have that ambition or drive we are happy staying put.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 09:57 AM

I've lived here since 2007 and the neighbourhood has undergone a number of changes since then.

I like it; it's quiet without being off the beaten track and I live only a mile from where I was born and a mile from Edinburgh City Centre. I can also hear the noise when Hibs score a goal.

A bonus is pleasant neighbours plus living right above a shop. I certainly used the shop yesterday when it was far too inclement to go anywhere else, that's if they were even open. The only downside is that it is quite a trek to a bus-stop connecting other parts of the city.

There are a number of schools around but I have never been plagued with excess noise. I hope to stay here as long as posssible.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 10:00 AM

because I don't live anywhere else.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 10:01 AM

Good answer.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 10:06 AM

I live where I do because we built a business up here - though we come from this area anyway.

We were lucky enough to find a property way back in the 70's that was in a prime spot for business but also with good living accommodation to bring up our family. Our garden backed onto a park so the kids loved it.

Now we're retired and could move anywhere but who wants to live anywhere else when ones family & friends are here?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-03-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

because I don't live anywhere else.
Lol
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-03-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I live where I do because we built a business up here - though we come from this area anyway.

We were lucky enough to find a property way back in the 70's that was in a prime spot for business but also with good living accommodation to bring up our family. Our garden backed onto a park so the kids loved it.

Now we're retired and could move anywhere but who wants to live anywhere else when ones family & friends are here?
Exactly my feeling carol.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top